Why don't soaps do catfights like this anymore?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not to mention the incredible subtext and double meaning in the dialogue. That conversation about the broken dishes of Bert's that Mo had dropped was so wonderful. Mo starts off as the perfect lady, but then unleashes the fury equal to that of a volcano erupting.

"You have reduced us to a ridiculous suburban joke and I will never forgive you for this."

• Members

I remember some good fights on ATWT between Barbara and Margo (when she was played by Hillary B Smith). Also, there was a classic scene when Margo teamed up with Shannon to dunk Barbara's head in a toilet.

• Members

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tq57zdK7Oy4

Embedding isn't allowed for this video and the visual and audio quality is quite bad, but you should be able to understand it all.

GL was written and acted like Greek tragedy in the early 90's, we'll never see soap opera like that again.

Lillian comes in about mid-way through the almost 9 minute clip, btw...

• Webmaster

Yes, the Amber/Colleen cat fight was pathetic. I cringed while the actresses went at it.

The Generations cat fight is the best cat fight I've ever seen on a soap. Those girls got down and dirty. The Dynasty cat fight doesn't even compare, and that is supposed to be the iconic cat fight all soaps are to want to emulate.

• Webmaster

Regarding the Nikki/Diane catfight above:

You can so tell the two had stunt doubles. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it was funny in those long shots where you saw fake wigs on different body types from the actual actresses fighting.

• Members

It looked like a parody of a soap opera! But the actresses weren't the problem - AF and TS have both proven themselves in past storylines - the problem was the writing and choreography. Colleen confronting Amber and calling her a slut was out of character and immature, and very plot-driven. And the actual fight itself looked like a playground fight between a pair of 6-year-olds. *shudder*

Archived