AMC: Pratt's plans for Fusion-TV Guide

• Members

CCT, I agree -- but there's a HUUUGE difference between "learning a thing or two" and blatantly copying what's trendy on primetime at any given moment, without any original thought. GH was NOTORIOUS during Season One of Grey's of pulling EXACT STORIES from Grey's episodes. (The transplant in the elevator, COINCIDENTALLY eight-ten weeks after it aired on Grey's... the same amount of time it takes an episode to get from script to air? Come on now...)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A lot of people criticize the set, but actually it rings true for the purpose. Fusion was a little start-up company that needed a place, and Palmer leased out this warehouse-looking building. Clearly, since then, Fusion has grown, and perhaps they need new digs, but soap budgets being what they are, they went with a new hospital instead.

I kind've like the Fusion set, it's nice and white and was a change when everything on the show was dark and twisty. AS for the Fusion plotlines, from Man of Fusion Contest to Satin Slayer to Charm, it's all been a little flat. And as for Confusion? nextastupid. What was wrong with meeting up at SOS?

• Members

Honestly, he's right about Fusion and the people in it. It was a joke from the start despite a potentially good concept, and has only gotten worse; every woman under forty walks there, for [!@#$%^&*]'s sake, and that's like over half the female cast! They're all copycat, vapid bitchy glamourpusses, and they bore the [!@#$%^&*] out of me. It's not about "female empowerment" either, it's just about a SATC clone (and I hate SATC) that is forced because most of the female friendships at Fusion have no basis in history, good writing, adult behavior, or reality. Even worse, Fusion is used as little more than a bordello/titillation factory by various male writers and execs overseeing the show - the stripper pole thing? Come on. Kendall's character is worse for the time she's spent there in the last few years, so I can totally see why Pratt lumps her in with the rest. All they ever do is drink, talk about drinking and sex, and stay out all night while their kids rot away at home, and supposedly that's female empowerment? No. This "girl power" crap with her and Greens and the others clinking glasses, pretending they really know about each other, and fawning over all the same men is pathetic, and it doesn't work. It needs to be drastically overhauled. Someone needs to come in and fire almost everyone in the company and take charge, show Kendall and Greenlee it's not all drinking games and thinly veiled bitchery.

• Members

Zendall, you forgot they also pick up files and rearrange them endlessly in their hands while they talk. That is, if they're not placing them on that little light-table to peer at for a second, before someone comes up behind them and mentions Ryan.

;-)

Gee, Vee, tell us how you really feel.

Honestly, ICAM. Although the stripper pole thing had to come from Budig. In all the "Return of Real Greenlee" press, she mentioned that was one of the pasttimes she had been doing while off the show. (I love Budig, but c'mon...)

• Members

I think people are reading too much into Pratt taking a page from Ugly Betty and turning Fusion into a real workplace. It doesn't mean he's going to get all his ideas from UB.

I love the concept of two spoiled girls trying to run a business. Greenlee & Kendall are both high-strung A-type personalities and it could be funny to watch them clash, especially if they failed occasionally instead of having instant success with every single idea.

So far between this and the Taylor/Jake storyline (which is similar to Army Wives in that it deals with issues of the Iraq war but again I doubt is going to be a carbon copy), I like what Pratt has planned.

• Members

I'm kind of surprised to hear so many people not liking this statement. It's not like he said "There will be a plane jane character coming to work at Fusion who has to deal with bitchy Amanda and working for Kendall who turns the company around and warms the hearts of millions everywhere." He simply said he's going to fix a VERY broken part of the show.

Although Pratt is not my favorite writer (thanks for murdering GH), this and the Taylor/Jake romance sound kind of nice.

• Members

I think anyone expecting Pratt to have an original idea is in for an unpleasant surprise. His tenure at GH was notorious for ripping off movies and tv shows and not doing it very well. It was generally a pallid copy with undertones of violence, misogyny, and contempt for the audience.

The bits we've seen from Logan's interviews so far ("It's like Army Wives!" "It's like Ugly Betty!") do not inspire confidence, that's for sure.

I'm also concerned that he clearly hasn't bothered to learn any of the history.

• Members

IMO there are two kinds of soap writers. One kind is the classical writer, who uses their show's history as a blueprint for story. For example, Carlivati's OLTL is currently telling a story in Mendorra with three characters from the show's past, and they are being integrated into the show's present. The second kind of writer is the TV writer, who simply tells the story he/she wants to tell using the show's characters with little regard to history. An example - and don't shoot me for this - would be Hogan Sheffer, who for example brought back Dusty and rewrote the character's history and personality because he wanted a tough guy on the show. Pratt belongs to the "TV writer" group. His GH was simply a place for which to tell mob stories.

• Members

So far there haven't been any ideas from Pratt. Taylor is a conservative Jake is a liberal? Who cares? Fusion office politics? Who cares? These aren't stories. Frankly, I'm more than a little worried about Pratt's AMC.

Archived