The Doctors

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

1. Doreen was shipped off to an asylum for the criminally insane (yes, those were the exact words used). Her maiden name was Fleming. Earl Rowe guested in 1977 and 1979 as Evan Fleming, Doreen's father.

2. Yes, we did see more of Carolee and her mother Emma's extended family besides MJ. When MJ married Tom Carroll in 1977, we were introduced to her many siblings and their spouses. The pre-fame relatives were played by Carol Potter (90210 & SUNSET BEACH), Dan Lauria (THE WONDER YEARS) and Chris Goutman (future director and EP of soaps, of course).

3. Mona got engaged to Dr. Winston "Win" Croft (Philip Sterling) onscreen in 1973 and they left town together to get married. Meg Mundy (Mona) returned to the show in 1975. Her marriage to Win ended a few months later when she became so preoccupied taking care of Steve and his kids after Carolee disappeared in early 1976 (really kidnapped and stashed in a sanitarium by Ann Larimer, to facilitate Carolee Campbell's exit from the show). The last straw was when she moved into Steve's house. Win, played by a different actor, gave Mona an ultimatum - him or her family. Needless to say, Win was history.

4. The name of Jason and Steve's father was Jonathan. He had died years before, and unlike modern soaps - the show never revived him. (Though they might have if the show had never been cancelled!!)

5. Michael Paul was Mike's only child.

6. Billy wasn't really portrayed as a villain until Alec Baldwin came on. His predecessor, Shawn Campbell, played Billy as more of a slacker.

7. According to some soap book (I think it was All My Afternoons), the show was set to recast Toni but the plans to do so were ultimately scrapped. Toni's body was never found in the plane wreckage (of course). Had the show continued, they probably would have explored that loose story end.

• Members

Mona and Barney might have been fun. She was a wealthy socialite who lived in a mansion, while he was a blue collar bartender who lived in a basement apartment. Champagne meets beer. I wonder if TPTB ever thought about pairing them, but the show burned through about a dozen writing and producing teams those last few years. If it was an idea bounced around, it probably got lost in the shuffle.

• Members

At the time the Sara story got praise for the writing/acting although long term killing off another Of Mike's wives wasn't a wise move. And with Mike in a wheelchair it was overkill.

Currently the show is without an EP as Doris Quinlan has yet to take over. I wonder what the circumstances were at the time that led to Chuck Weiss leaving and no immediate replacement?

I don't believe Weiss ever worked in soaps again.

Interestingly when Quinlan arrives, there are cast/story changes yet she retains Elizabeth Levin/David Cherrill as writers. Usually a new EP changes writers quickly. Perhaps that points to Quinlan's experience in the genre and not going for the easy solution in  blaming writers for poor ratings but instead working with them to make changes.

• Members

Yep, that's Mary Frann, giving the same kind of line readings she always gave on "Newhart."  Don't know about Sally Gracie, though.

And the man is actor David Spielberg, who passed away several years ago.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Thanks! I'm so ashamed to not remember where I knew him from - he was malevolent shadow government agent Herb Ketcher in my favorite Wiseguy arc (the Proffit arc). He was so mean to my beloved Roger Lococco...

Edited by DRW50