Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

I wonder if there will be a transition person put in place and then a replacement or if the first replacement will remain?

Carl, how would you rate Steve November's time as series producer (April 2001 - December 2004)? The first thing that comes to mind is that he wrote for the wonderful Steph Stokes character.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Some feel that November (I have a hard time not calling him Frost) was overrated. Others would say that he was great at Emmerdale. Stylistically he was not that different than Blyth in certain areas. He created the King family, who were basically the Wyldes, only older and more male-dominated. He also wrote quite a bit for Charity and Cain, which has not been the case over the last year -- the use of Charity has often baffled me, and if the UK were not having such economic problems I wonder if Emma Atkins would still be there. He created the Daggerts, one of the very few black families created on Emmerdale or Corrie. They weren't popular, although Danny Daggert stayed around for about 5 years. During his time was, I believe, Zoe's schizophrenia, and her sex with Scott Windsor, leading to the conception of her baby Jean and a long controversy as Zoe thought she had been raped. He also did the big storm of early 2004 which killed Tricia Dingle. He also did Andy/Katie/Robert, and Andy shooting Jack. That was when Val arrived too.

I just hope that the veteran characters will be properly used because most of them have been slowly pushed off the show over the last few years and I'm sorry but I don't believe that weepy Aaron, soulless Carl, Paddy/Marlon and Cain/Charity and confused Chas, the underused Sharmas, the Bartons and _____ rich family of the year are enough to make up for the strength, spirit and the history which some of the older characters bring to the village.

• Members

I have to post how much I love Pa Barton today. Not only is he hot with a gorgeous body, but the actor is great and has been the best thing about this poorly written drug story. I loved him bawling out everyone and storming off. It is too bad the rest of the actors in the Barton family are crap. The Holly person is the worse, but the mother isn't far behind. She was embarrassingly horrendous today. John needs to dump his boring wife and his family and go have a fling with Alicia. Now that would be entertaining.

Marlon acts like a two year old. I don't know what Rhoneh ever saw in him. He lives down the street in the same village WTH is he saying that he can't be a father. What a loser.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

I don't think Moira or Adam are that bad of actors but I do agree that Moira is a very unpleasant character.

Affair stories can be tired but in this case it would work, if the buildup is there. The guy who plays John Barton is very hot (he even did graphic sex scenes in TV shows before Emmerdale so he'd probably be willing to go along with a fairly risque story) and also a good actor.

I hope you post more about the show. I've kind of lost some enjoyment so don't have much to say.

• Members

Ooo, now I have to go look for steamy sex scenes with the guy who plays Pa Barton. He is quite the hottie. Emmerdale is so tame when it comes to sex scenes. Blech.

Emmerdale is alright. I'm watching. I like quite a few characters; Dishy Declan, Paddeh, Rhoneh, Pa Barton, I said to myself, Hazel, and Faye. I always use the nicknames given by the Emmerdale fans on Digital Spy forums. I love lurking on their threads because those posters are insanely funny and the best soap fans around.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

He was in one of those dramas which sort of is a bit steamy but also purports to be a serious drama about relationships and marriages. I think it was called Between the Sheets. UK TV seems to be better at marrying sexuality and serious drama than a lot of US TV -- I guess HBO tried with Tell Me You Love Me.

I enjoy DS too, especially because there's a more balanced view there now whereas a few years ago it was mostly just about how terrible the Dingles were. Emmerdale fans seem to stay out of the soap wars too and less of the "how awesome is my show compared to yours."

I think I'd be happier if Emmerdale gave more stories to the vets and also if a few stories were a little less aimless and miserable. Unfortunately Emmerdale might be wary of having comedy because people associate Emmerdale comedy with Marlon.

• Members

I have never heard of Between the Sheets. I did find some YT clips of him on Red Cap. He is so yummy. Emmerdale needs to use Pa Burton better. He is wasted on that boring family. He should have never been cast as a family man. He should be the village hottie loving and leaving them.

Edited by Ann_SS