Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The ratings for the show are continuing to be consistent and more than consistent; they're up to 7.3 for yesterday's episode. I do wish I could get back into the show. I haven't been that interested in recent weeks. That's sort of the way I've felt about Blyth's stories more often than not; I can admire his efforts but find it hard to engage (although I don't really admire anything about how the Aaron story fell apart).

• Members

Well, they are starting a new story this week with a newcomer named Amy, who will befriend Victoria. It could be interesting.

I agree about Aaron's story. That goes for the Holly story too as the actresses that play Holly and Moira just aren't good or likable and ruin the writing, which is pretty good.

Then there's Hazel basically taking over the whole village and being propped as the second coming in every episode. It's tiresome and annoying and has quickly made me hate her. At least this non-story with Bob seems to be over. Which is another problem I have with Bylth, he has too many stories that go absolutely nowhere.

• Members

The Simpsons started on the show in May 1996 (sorry for saying 1998) and the next month viewers learned the adult children, Nat and Georgia, were lovers. The mother had also been with a younger man and gotten sued for sexual harassment, or something. The family fell apart and then they went into therapy. The father, Ollie, was devastated to learn that Georgia had gotten pregnant with Nat's child and had an abortion. Georgia got a job transfer and Nat went with her. Ollie and his wife split up and their preteen son stayed with him.

• Members

Well. I am contnually impressed by Emmerdale's production values, which puts its rivals Corrie and EE in the shade. Nevermind the US soaps, which look piss-poor next to this.

Aaron and Jackson fighting. Jackson driving off in his car.

Aaron standing there, his eyes glistening with tears. I have such a talent crush on this actor. He is the best cryer I have ever seen.

Aaron calls Jackson on his cell. Jackson, driving, can see his cell ringing on the passenger seat. He lets it ring for a while before finally giving in and reaching for it -- only it slips out of his grasp and falls on the floor.

Jackson searches around for it WHILE driving and suddenly swerves to avoid hitting something in the road. His car smashes through fences and shrubbery to turn over and over. The shot switches from the view in the car to Aaron, listening from far away to the crash and realizing with horror what has happened.

Closeup on the wrecked car. Jackson tries weakly to extricate himself from the wreakage. Then the camera pulls back to reveal a flashing red light... Jackson's car is smack in the middle of a railway crossing, and the red light signals that a train is approaching.

Aaron begins to run down the road. Jackson doesn't even realize he is in imminent danger until he hears the roar of the train right behind him and then it is too late.

OMG. OMG! So much efficient, effective filming here. The shots inside the car, the use of silence and then noise (the crash, the sound of the train appearing from nowhere), The direction was superb. Whatever one may think about Emmerdale right now, about this character, you have to admit that the technical know-how is impressive. More than that, these Big Events are never soulless behomeths. Emmerdale always manages to hook something emotional behind the Big Event. Here it was Aaron's unwitting part behind Jackson's accident. It is also the fact that in the UK, deaths on the railway line somehow hang in the public consciousness. What an awful way to go. And Jackson WILL die, right? Nobody could conceiveably survive that double car crash!

Just had to sing my praises. Miller never fails to deliver, but I was way impressed here by the whole episode.

• Members

Holy s***, it looks like they fired Deena Payne.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/s12/emmerdale/news/a281332/deena-payne-to-leave-emmerdale.html

Viv was such a fantastic character when they actually wrote for her. She was also one of the few ties left to the old Emmerdale, one which did not revolve around characters who tend to leave after a few years. When a show loses touch with its roots it pays a price in ratings and in quality.

It was obvious that Blyth had little use for Viv but to actually write her out, especially when she is one of the longest serving female characters, is sad. This makes me wonder about other women he has little time for, like Val.

I have had an increasingly difficult time being invested in Emmerdale, and decisions like this are an example of why.