Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Members

I know a lot of people are probably sick of Cain always stirring the pot and being untouchable, but I loved that last scene where he tapped on Nathan's car window and that smirk came onto his face. That, Nikhil taking off his jacket to highlight his nice pecs and arms in that blue shirt, and Chas's joke about Shadrach and the grapes ("I'm surprised you recognize them when they're not fermented") were real highlights.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I always prefer the first stint to Cain over his 2009 return. He was a bad boy then and now he is some sort of anti hero.

Sad to see Maise go and if Natasha goes, then a new rich family made be needed. Or throw The Kings back into the mansion again.

• Members

Cain & Nathan are having a good feud...lets hope it keeps up

Jimmy continues to grow on me as one of my favourite characters on Emmerdale

I should have thought there would be more tension between Jimmy & Charity because of The Incident in 2004

Love Maise Hate Declan

I do enjoy watching The Bartons

• Members

I know I shouldn't but I still feel sorry for Nathan most of the time, especially his pain at the way Maisie is treating him. Cain is still acting too much like a mustache-twirler but the threat he poses to the Wyldes is believable. I know some are saying just frame Cain for the crime but that would take a lot of work and Natasha seems too distracted to pull it off.

It was nice to get to see Ryan with Maisie and Will. They need to integrate this family in some way, especially with the upcoming departures.

The stuff with Leyla and David and the furniture was filled but I loved when Val asked where to stick the table and Layla ate a strawberry so she couldn't answer. The actress is good at that type of comedy. Why is David worried about Declan? Is it because Declan knows about the woman who dropped her robe for David to try to entrap him? Layla still doesn't know about that?

The stuff with Shadrach in this episode was so harrowing to watch, the type of detailing of the reasons for and heavy dependency on alcohol which you don't see very often on soaps. Andy Devine was breaking my heart.

• Members

Agreed on most accounts, except for how you see Cain being written as some one note villain.

Andy Devine definitely surprised me today. That was a very well written speech he gave to Marlon about his time was up and Devine delivered nicely.

I think it would be an interesting story if, when the truth came out, Faye sued for custody of Will, for Ryan's sake. Or even, Ryan sued for custody himself. Speaking of the Wyldes, people have been saying Amanda Donohoe doesn't like to stay in place too long, so if she left, who do you think should be the rich family on the show. I think it could be interesting if the Dingles won the lottery or something but in someway the money tore the family apart. The curse of Home Farm coming round once again.

Edited by Amello

• Members

I don't see Cain as a one-note villain as much as I see him as just kind of being shady to move the plot along. I think Jeff Hordley does a good job with this and I find it entertaining but a lot of fans seem to have had enough. I think there's more they can do with the character.

I love the idea of Faye or Ryan suing for custody of Will. This could also cause friction between Faye and Ryan, if Ryan thinks Faye is somehow trying to live in the past by getting Will, or that she feels Ryan wasn't a good enough son.

I don't know what they'll do with Home Farm. They haven't had any longstanding family since the Tates. I don't think the Kings ever fit in well -- Carl and Jimmy are both much better off as being middle class and average guys instead of the suits and ties.

If Declan stays around then I think they could bring Declan and some of his family and have them live in the place. I wish they could have Declan related to the Verneys.

Whatever they do I'm not sure if they should bring in an all-new rich family, I think that might annoy viewers as they have brought in so many over the past ten years.

About ten years ago they had a story where a lottery winner bought Home Farm (Eric was her financial advisor and tried his best to fleece her dry). So they could do that with the Dingles. I could see Cain and Charity living there (Charity lived there for several years anyway), and Cain might end up trying to destroy the place inside out, since he probably resents it.

Or the Sharmas could move in.

• Members

So, as I posted in the Corrie thread, I'm starting to get back into Emmerdale; I don't think I'll watch religiously, but enough to know what's going on. The show seems to have quite a large cast, too.

From what I've seen, I don't really feel the Wyldes fit into Home Farm, the way that house was intended; they're no Tates, or Oakwells. And it's not about money, but class, and Natasha and Co. don't feel upper class enough.

OK, I have to go, someone's at the door! I'll finish off my post later. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ben

• Members

Most of the reaction at DS ended up being about how awful Colleen Nolan is and how this will be all about her. I only saw her on the ice skating show, where she was increasingly annoying...I guess it helps that I don't really watch Loose Women very often. I wonder if any version of The View is not annoying.

Ben, both Natasha and Mark came from poverty or barely above it so that might be why they don't seem to be from wealth. But Maisie has quit the show and Natasha probably is too so you won't have to see them too much longer. :lol: