Emmerdale: Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Just rewatched the scenes. Interesting. But it now makes a lot of sense. Just glad it wasn't Emma and I can actually understand Val's motives. Even though her methods are horrible and I feel very bad for Darren. Regardless of how he got HIV he doesn't deserve to be treated like that esp when he's done nothing to hurt Finn.

• Members

Blackburn seems to have made a genuine effort - the Nazirs, Steph, Tony. It's just that the execution is awful (Nazirs).

No real excuse for EE, Ellen Thomas or not, as DTC goes to the press back-patting for tokenism and racism.

I think it would be nice if ED did try for more diversity, realism or not, but it does seem like they have always struggled at making it work. Even the Sharmas, who have been around for nearly 5 years - the only really popular Sharma was Nikhil.

I really liked the idea of giving Aaron a black boyfriend (but again the casting was wrong).

Doing the same for Finn, or Aaron again, wouldn't be a bad idea, especially someone who could stand up to the Bartons or Robert or Chas.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

But they do try, Emmerdale that is. And they have somewhat made the Sharma's a mainstay. But I like the Sharma family. I think that they give Jai great material. It's Priya that they could do more for. I liked her when she became a bit of vixen but it was scrapped too quickly. They should've played that up for years to come. And we have Alicia and Leyla too.

I would like a black family on the show but I am not begging for it. If it happens, it happens. But I am all for Aaron or Finn getting a black significant other, which could lead to a new family in the village.

Corrie is trying as of late but I am not impressed. Dev is practically backburned. Poor Lloyd gained a family and lost them just as fast. Steph and Luke are OK. Tony is good too. They just don't do anything with them.

EE is the most offensive. Being a soap in London, that show should be heavily diverse. I just hate how the Masood and Fox clans are getting scraps. Especially Denise. I may be biased but Denise deserves to be a leading lady.

I was going to mention HO but they are adding a new black family so we'll see how this pans out.

• Members

I keep forgetting whether Alicia is supposed to be white or not.

I forgot about Leyla. I love her. And I love her even more now that I know Roxy Shahidi is a big Twin Peaks fan.

I do wish they'd do more with Priya. I really like her relationship with Rakesh so I don't want that broken up just so she can throw herself at Pete or Ross or Adam or whoever, but I wish they'd give her more to do.

I also like Rishi, even if his story with Georgia doesn't do much for me.

• Members

Alicia and Leyla are middle eastern??? What's the background with the Indian family mom and dad (mom isn't Indian - Georgia?)

I like priya and the mom. Dad doesn't seem like a real character yet. Jai is annoying. They should use priya more as she's attractive and seems the most likable.

Still confused on the town set up. Why do most live in connecting homes? What's the deal with home farm? And why is it so normal to steal cars and sell them? :). GL watchers I forgot when frank cooper introduced he sold stolen cars. Funny.

• Members

Nikhil and Jai Sharma moved to the village in 2010, buying a factory off Eric Pollard and turning it into a toffee place. Their wild child sister followed (and quickly left, as the show seemed baffled at what to do with her; she returned after a while with the current actress and did what most women on the show do - let Cain lay pipe in them), then their parents, who split a while after joining them (at one point Rishi lied about being the father of Jai's son with Rachel...). Nikhil was involved with Home Farm princess Maisie Wylde, Chas, and then Gennie, Chas' sister. They had a baby. After Gennie was murdered by Chas/Debbie's boyfriend Cameron, a heartbroken Nikhil left town.

Most of the cottages in the village have been there for a long time. I think they were revamped in the '90s by the Tate family, who owned most of the village in those years.

Home Farm has been around for a hundred or two hundred years, or however long. Until the late '70s it was owned by the Verney family. When the last Verney died, it was sold to a conglomerate, and Alan Turner, a lonely, abusive drunk, lived in it for about a decade. In 1989 it was bought by the Tate family.

There tends to be a curse on the place - patriarchs will usually die violently. Sons or young men tend to be village pariahs and smarmy schemers. Young women in the family tend to be the ones who survive, if anyone does. At least 3 of the men who owned it were killed or died on premises.

• Members

That's one thing that I've loved about Home Farm--the curse that is. I know it is a trope on the show but I love it. Declan's family failed miserably at the Home Farm family. I hope that the current family continues the tradition.

Damn I miss the Kings on Home Farm. That was my favorite era of Emmerdale. Sadie was my b-tch!

• Members

Today was one of the first days I thought they got the story with Finn and Val right.

Finn was appropriately hostile and dismissive toward Ross and Emma after their attitude, it made sense for him to blame Emma, and it made sense for him to be simultaneously sickened, hurt, and furious with Val. I hope he won’t forget this for a long time. This isn’t the type of material I think most suits Joe Gill, but it was a strong performance from him (and I’m glad they let his hair be more natural).

I still don’t think anything justifies Val’s behavior, but I’m glad we got to hear her explanation, and we got to see Eric (the person who knows her best) be so disgusted as well. He pointed out what had to be pointed out - that she was hurting her supposed cause, that she was a hypocrite, that she had no right to act this way.

I love that Finn is adorkable and awkward and all the rest, but I hope this episode is a start of him becoming tougher, because he’s been so alone throughout this with Darren, even when he was accused of vandalizing a car and for all his family knew, being arrested, that it has to leave a mark.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Did I? I had to pause for a moment of reflection and then instantly thought of you (well, after dreaming of Ben Freeman, of course). I meant to post immediately after, but it somehow slipped my mind. I blame EastEnders, which I always watch last. I feel bad for him though, now forever tied to Marlon.