EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That can't come quick enough. Hopefully the pacing and continuity will improve.

I wasn't referring to them returning, but the story that they returned with - Kat, in a blonde wig, running away from some crooks, who then broke into the Slater house, only to be scared off by Alfie pretending to be a cop. This was linked to their overly complicated backstory of Alfie being in prison due to some dodgy scam that conned these crooks out of money, and they, being oh so powerful, chased Kat all the way from Spain, just to be scared off at the last the minute. It was all to pointless and messy for words.

ETA: You inspired the BAM!s. :lol:

Edited by Ben

• Members

I think that's due more to budget issues.

I do wish they'd shown her after saving Syed from the fire.

I just tend to roll my eyes a little at the whole "I watch this show for the Masoods/Ronnie/et al, where are they." I watched Eastenders for characters like Pat and she spend most of the last three years on holiday or in the hospital, or babysitting kids. I understand that people want to see their favorites, I think Kat and Alfie have been overused, I can also see why Ronnie fans are not thrilled with the writing for her, but I also think that sometimes it's better to not show someone for a while than to give them bad stories. Sometimes I think some viewers just want to see someone all the time. In the case of characters like Ronnie, or the Masoods, they were very badly damaged by Santer and DTC, and I don't entirely know where they can go. I'm actually not sure if anything can be done with Ronnie, because Santer and DTC seemed to have a special relationship with the character, even if their stories drove her into a huge hole. I hope that Kirkwood eventually uses her properly, as I really like Samantha Womack.

• Members

Ronnie was totally rendered useless when Santer/DTC decided that she was going to be their "tragic heroine" and never allowed the character to grow outside of that. After a while, who cares how and why she's suffering?

It's not the same with someone like Sharon, who is still the show's definitive heroine. She had a life, it was filled with suffering, but the suffering didn't define who she was/is. People also watched her grow up and evolve.

• Members

This is true. I guess this was one of the jobs that DS' Kris Green took?

Does anyone else think that US soaps would/would've benefited from sharing the load more? Obviously Y&R is a resounding 'no', but I mean more generally, and with the right team.

I don't really understand this mentality, as it's a soap opera, and I know people have die hard favourites (I do), but you have to watch for more than that; it's why an ensemble cast has to work overall, and not be reliant on a select few. Of course, this mentality has its place, like when a show is so bad, everything is totally terrible, and only your faves matter. But, EE isn't in that shape, ATM.

I love SW, too, and I hope they learn to use her and Ronnie right. I do wonder if they'll continue the tradition of her being the tragic heroine?

• Members

Looks like Stacey's last set of scenes are with Max. I don't know about the "love" part, sounds like false information, or something Max just tells her to stay. But I do feel there's always been genuine repressed love between Max and Stacey, the affair aftermath and Bradley's dead didn't take away from that.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/3214165/Stacey-says-see-you-Slater.html#ixzz14RWHDxOW

I'm going to miss Lacey, but I do feel like it's time for Stacey to go. She's been though a lot and needs a rest. Maybe in 5 years or so if Lacey wants to come back, they can bring her back. Whether anyone likes it or not, she's sort of been the face of the show over the past 5 years.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I'd rather they have gotten back together in secret and then she has to leave than to just have him beg her to stay because he loves her. While I do believe he has always had some love for her, I don't think he would at this time beg her to stay when he has Vanessa and Tanya around. Not based on romantic love. That's taking Max's harem a little too far. I would say it might make the character look bad, but he's done worse. I hope that like you said this might not be quite right. Either way I'm glad her last scenes will be with Max. Lacey and Jake have been fantastic together this year.

Sure they are but that's the nature of the show. People will vanish for long periods of time. Before the Syed story, the Masoods spent a lot of months in the background, at best.