EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

I will miss her mostly because I thought she added some campy fun. I wish they had not given her that poor story with Phil and Ian. It squandered the character.

It seems like behind the scenes show is in a bit of a mess these days. I still think Bryan Kirkwood deserves more time because I have liked some of his work at EE but with the ratings decline the last few weeks I'm not sure what will happen.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

So much potential wasted. So long Glenda, you will missed (but not by everyone it seems).

Not much else to say. They saddled her with that terrible Ian/Phil story that never really developed her character at all.

Ricky leaving is not that much of a surprise. I wonder if they really will bring him and Bianca back in 2012... The kids need to leave with Ricky. But, what will this mean for Carol? She'll have to be more involved with the Branning side of her family in order to survive, as without that, they won't write for her.

• Members

I really hope they don't make Yusef a psycho either. There's so much potential for conflict (especially with Denise now becoming involved) in this situation that the writers shouldn't have to resort to making Yusef the bad guy. All four have enough baggage to make the story compelling and yet stay sympathetic characters without having to resort to making one person a villian.

Edited by Dion

• Members

I must be in the minority here, as I don't find the story that engaging, simply b/c Yusef and Denise have no chemistry, and he's just not her type. It feels like it's all about the plot. Then there's the way Zainab's backstory has been handled in such a haphazardly fashion - one minute she was certain Yusef set her on fire, now she isn't so sure. Why doesn't she know? How come she never mentioned Yusef's brothers being there before this? Was she blindfolded? Because, she should know who poured oil over her and lit the match. It would've been OK if they had written like she was uncertain about the part Yusef played, but it's been scripted like Zainab was certain that he set her on fire. How can she not be sure?

I don't want Yusef to be a psycho, either, but I do think he's out to break up the Masoods, and I hope they build on that deviousness, by not sending him over the edgy.

• Members

I think the Denise/Yusef part is very plot-driven and rushed, and it feels like an attempt to give Denise something to do. I would rather Denise have been wary of him and then Zainab, getting the wrong idea, criticized him up and down to Denise and then that made Denise more interested. Denise doesn't really have a type, IMO, as Kevin/Owen/Lucas were all very different, but the real problem with Denise is she is not a character. I love Diane Parish's work and I think that's what carries Denise along and is the reason she wasn't written out when she logically should have been with Libby and Chelsea. The problem is what do you do with Denise? Some would say, "Bring her daughters back," but I never thought those relationships were all that interesting. I'd like to see her doing more with the B&B and settle her down with someone once and for all who will get a lot of different emotions out of her but who isn't dangerous.

Masood and Zainab have lost most of their spark as a couple and I would like to believe that was intentional, but who knows. The show has done a real hatchet job on Masood over the last year, especially right after the Chryed reveal.

The Tamwar/Afia stuff doesn't do a lot for me either, also very rushed and Tamwar doesn't seem like he would put up with all he puts up with from her.

I am still glad they are focusing on the Masoods more because I believe them as a family and it's nice to see them move on from the Syed story, but I see why the story isn't the best.

So do you have any thoughts on Corrie at the moment? I have decided just to not comment on it rather than moan so I'd like to hear your thoughts, good or bad.

• Members

ITA Carl, on most of that.

As different as Kevin/Owen/Lucas were, I do believe that there was a common link between them. Yusef is a doctor, a successful, educated man, who carries himself very differently to K/O/L. By comparison, they were all quite open, while Yusef is not. Of course, he does have a dark side, and that could be what draws Denise to him, but on the surface, I just don't believe Denise would fall for him. I think the only reason these two are happening, is b/c she is Zainab's BFF, and it has that classic soapy story beat - Zainab's best friend romantically linked to her possibly dangerous ex-husband, who maybe out to ruin Zee's marriage.

It's interesting that you say she isn't a character, as I've never thought of her like that. I think they missed a trick by not exploring the aftermath of Lucas's terror, and the departure of all her children, as that could've opened up a lot of areas and soul searching for Denise. But instead, they had her deal with it all off screen, randomly bringing it all up last week, just so they could have the viewers see Denise quickly move on, shoving her into Yusef's path. Pathetic.

Bringing back Libby & Chelsea is not a good idea. There is always Kim, who continues to be under developed, and there is her bio dad that could provide some story, especially with what happened between him and Patrick.

ITA about Masood. He has been ruined. I like Tam & Afia, and I like that Tam still confides in Syed. But, the family is fractured, and I still believe that recasting Shabnam would be a good idea, as her presence within the family was underplayed and very understated.

I'll post my Corrie thought in that thread.