EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

I hope they don't bring in anymore Branning's, almost half the show is comprised of them. The show has focused too much on the Branning and Mitchell's in recent years. The Branning's are fine with what they are now, maybe in a few years time then they can introduce Derek and his kids.

I wish they would amp up the Beale's, Masood's, or Slater's instead.

I wouldn't believe most of the "alleged casting" on DS, they post so much crap there in regards to casting that never happens.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think that bringing in Brannings generally works, as long as the casting and writing is there. They really bounce off each other well and the family is fascinating, they have so much baggage. I would like to see more of them while Carol is still there, because once Lindsey leaves (if she does) she may not ever come back. I think it only fails when they do a poor job establishing relationships, like they did for the first few years with Max/Jack/Suzy and then barely any interaction with Bianca or her kids.

They had more Slaters a few years ago and they were barely in story together, it seemed.

I'd like to see more Beales though.

Two different posters at DS have said they heard the Sinead thing. I hope you're right though.

• Members

There's so many of them though, almost half the cast are Branning's. I know people accuse the Mitchell's of dominating the show, but the Branning's have been far more dominant in recent times.

Other families on the show could use more development and resources poured into them. The Branning's are really fine as they are.

Stacey leaving probably helped Max interact with his family more. Because let's face it, Max's strongest relationships on the show so far have only been with Stacey, Bradley, and your girl Tanya.

With Stacey and Bradley out of his life, and him not being with Tanya at the moment, it gives them a better opportunity to explore his relationship with Carol and the others. Had those characters still been on, I don't think Max would be that involved with the other Branning's.

Jack is still a plank of wood, and by far the weakest actor in that family set though.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I think that Max still could have interacted with the women in his harem as well as the Brannings, if the writing had made the effort. In 2010 he was more involved with Stacey than he had been in years and he still had a lot of scenes with Carol.

To me the Brannings are different than the Mitchells because the Brannings aren't steeped in tropes and nostalgia. There is no "famirrrrleeee" with the Brannings, there's no pub they revolve around, they don't have the same stories again and again, which I think the Mitchells generally did. The Mitchells falter as characters on their own, whereas the Brannings don't.

But I agree that Jack could go and the family wouldn't suffer.

It looks like one family will be expanding - the Moons.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a299682/david-essex-lands-eastenders-role.html

Hey, Rita sang a David Essex song at Christmas.

Bryan Kirkwood is ripping off Corrie1!11!!11

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Why are they expanding the Moon's? I'd rather they bring in Big Mo's family instead, or another Slater cousin even. I don't necessarily mind it, but they are gonna have to make a big effort in establishing these newer characters.

This doesn't even sound like a big expansion though, just Alfie's uncle and Michael returning.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I liked Nana, she was too cutesy, but I thought she was a nice character and worked well with Alfie and Kat. I also liked the Spencer/Alfie relationship. I just don't think Spencer worked on his own.

Jake seemed popular. Danny didn't seem to be though.

The problem is Michael seemed so dull...I have no real desire to ever see him again.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

A documentary from the 80s looking at the making of a 1986 episode of EastEnders, featuring interviews with the cast and Julia Smith.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m_y6uVQMvLM" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FiVM16-Ti4A" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DF3gOdknBYQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zNT0i545QP0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner