EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's probably because Jo Joyner is still losing baby weight.

She seemed about the same in characterization to me -- passive-aggressive, cold, and in need of attention.

You make a lot of good points. I actually think most of the characters are behaving true to themselves, but the problem is it's trait I don't necessarily want to see. I'm tired of Phil the hardman or Ian the sleaze. I would like to see them change. Ian has regressed so much lately. I'm bewildered that Jane, after everything, has gone back to being the wife who can't see what's in front of her face. That story is one I would love to know the details of in the writers room -- all this feels like damage control because of whatever happened with the story to have her get revenge on Ian, Lucy's abortion, Melissa Suffield's exit, etc.

The newer characters are still difficult to invest in, like Ryan, Whitney, or Connor (although I don't think he'll be around much longer).

Some other characters like Janine I think have been developed recently to what their true characterizations are -- the show is still very plot-driven but she is one who seems to be closer to what I remember her as being and what I believe she'd be today.

As for Roxy and Ronnie -- they've both had quite a bit of time off in the last six months or more. I have mixed feelings on them but I think Ronnie still has her moments when they know what to do with her (she was great yesterday). Roxy I could do without but I think she's been rested, which she never really was before, and I think Rita Symons has come a long way. I do see where they are superfluous but for the first time in quite a while I think they might be able to move beyond that. For about two years I just wanted Roxy off my screen.

I just hope Carol will get a story soon.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Today's episode:

I thought I was going to vomit at Tiffany's little cutesy scooter act in the beginning. Seriously, that kid annoys me when they write her that way.

That said, I thought this episode was a nice low-key follow up to yesterday's episode.

Gillian Wright was great, and I loved the scenes in the beginning when Kat was trying to comfort her, and then towards the middle when she was lashing out at Ryan. I'm glad they decided to keep Jean. I wonder how they're going to temporarily write her out though and how they'll write her back in a few months.

Loved Pat slapping the sh!t out of Ryan, but you could tell how in denial she tried to be about Janine stabbing herself when she found out, though she knows Janine is very capable of it.

With the HD move, I can see Pam St. Clement's drawn on eyebrows even more...

Kat/Shirley/Ronnie were a nice light balance, but with what's to come, you know it won't last...

I don't care about Whitney/Bianca/Connor/Phil, though I guess this will tie into Patsy Palmer's maternity leave.

Loved all the scenes at Dot's Boxing Day party.

Nice cliffhanger with Ryan pulling out Janine's chords in an attempt to kill her.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Small and bad quality New Year's promo:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5im4fS-B3M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5im4fS-B3M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5im4fS-B3M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Today's episode:

Poor Jean. :( The cliffhanger was so scary, it really looked like she had killed herself just as Kat came in.

I think they've finally gotten a handle on Kat's character again. We were seeing too much of the tart and not enough of the heart. One thing is Kat has always been fiercely loyal to her family members, so it was nice to see her trying to protect and comfort Jean.

Kat (to Ronnie) Fancy a swap?

Says it all...

Oh Carol, sit your ass down and get away from Connor. She should have let Phil kill his ass.

Whitney is a selfish and nasty little [!@#$%^&*]...

So Pat's disowned Janine again, I wonder how long it will last this time. Those were great scenes when Pat laid into Janine in the hospital and then when she apologized to Jean for accusing Stacey of stabbing Janine.

Poor Dot is so lonely. I felt sorry for her when everyone left the house at once and she had no one else to talk to. People just assume she's too preoccupied with taking care of Jim, but she really could use the company of others. I did enjoy the Boxing Day party scenes at Dot's though.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I enjoyed that Carol saved Conor, if only for showing that she's a fierce bitch standing up to Phil. Plus, this whole relationship is very dark and incestuous, and that entertains me. It's almost like something out of a Atom Egoyan film.

Man, Kirkwood made such a good decision in keeping Gillian Wright. She's really just completely spellbinding.

I wish Ricky would fight to help Janine more. I don't know if it would be historically accurate or whatever, but I hope he didn't disown her as well. The girl obviously needs to be sectioned. Speaking of Ricky, I wonder if they'll give him anything to do while Patsy Palmer is on leave. I hope so. Next to Max, he's my favourite male character.

• Members

My jaw dropped when they showed Jean's face in the bathttub. It's not too surprising that the same Mary Whitehouse types who got the NYE episodes cut down did nothing about this extremely disturbing scene.

Poor Pat. She still cares about Janine but she's too humiliated and burnt to address it now.

Whitney makes my skin crawl.

Loved loved that scene where Ronnie said, "This is our second chance."

Every episode has been so complex recently. I sure wish it could last...

• Members

My belated two cents worth on the recent eps.

I'm with Sylph and James on the Xmas Day ep, as I didn't enjoy that, but I never actually thought I would, as I haven't been invested in any of the J/R/S triangle, due to its plotiness and lack of depth (it didn't help that I read the leaked ending in a tabloid a couple of months ago). The episode felt too OTT for me, and there was a lot going on, which meant a lot of things weren't properly developed enough. Janine stabbing herself would've been enough, without Stacey climbing onto the roof, suddenly feeling suicidal for 5 minutes. B/c it was so rushed, Max didn't seem to have any concern for her mental health, even though the girl was inches from throwing herself off a building! Then there was Janine, staggering across the Square for about 30 minutes, bleeding, but never actually collapsing, even though she would've lost quite a bit of blood, considering she removed the towel for full bloody effect. Janine should've lost consciousness long before the paramedics arrived, or at least felt faint. However, I did like the ending with Max watching the plane, and Stacey looking out the window and onto the London skyline; I liked how Stax came full circle, and I liked how Ryan got dashed by Stacey. The final dialogue between Stacey/Jean was one of the best moments in the whole episode. But, I'm unsure if Stacey should have got away with murder, or if she should've gone to prison.

Boxing Day: I was really disappointed that all we got was those pesky Max/Lauren scenes, after the monumental decision Max made on Xmas day. He packed a bag with the intention of leaving the country, and his entire family (3 kids and a g/f) to be with Stacey, and all we get is a couple of scenes with Lauren!? Where were Vanessa, or Abi? We've seen months of Lauren's POV, and I believe it would've been more interesting to get Abi's take on things, and how she felt seeing Max chase after Stacey again, and potentially ruining yet another relationship with Vanessa (who Abi likes). Vanessa should've been there ready to talk about what he did, b/c that puts major questions on their relationship, and where they both stand - he was leaving her for another woman! The follow through on this show sucks so much. On a brighter note, I did like Pat slapping Ryan, and the scenes with Patrick/Denise/Kim/Dot, Bianca/Phil, Ryan/Janine/Pat/Ricky. I think Ryan & Janine have a lot of potential to be like one of those destructive couples, where they do really bad things to each other (like trying to murder one another), but deep down, love each other, and will do anything for the other. We just need to see more scenes that demonstrate the latter, and for Ryan to realize that he and Janine are a match made in Hell. Sort of like a Mr. & Mrs. Smith-esque couple. It would only work if the writing was there, and I don't think it is, especially for Ryan's character.

Monday: I loved this ep so much more than the last two. The scenes with Kat/Ronnie/Jean were so well acted by GW, and that last scene was quite harrowing. I'm even suspending by disbelief over Kat & Ronnie's insta-friendship. I loved the scenes at Dot's place, and Kim is so awesome. Sad that P/K/D have left Dot's to stay with the Beales, as the potential of that set-up wasn't explored long enough. I wish we had seen more of Denise; she's so neglected. The weird Carol/Connor thing is back on, and still without any further exploration of Carol's motivation - she mothers him, she sleeps with him...

• Members

I think the follow-through has improved somewhat, but I agree it was a letdown to not show Vanessa's reaction. I think it's because they don't consider Vanessa an important character (what should have been a long story with Harry was cut short very abruptly), so instead we just hear that they were fighting. I would have rather seen that.

Stacey's suicide bid worked for drama (since that was how Bradley died) but I agree about unrealism, since Max has worried about Stacey's health in the past (he was the one who quickly noticed she was off her meds). I think he was just focused on protecting her and getting her out of Walford.

Carol and Dot both seem to be drifting. Their struggles are very interesting to watch but I'm hoping we will know more soon.

I agree that yesterday's episode was probably the best. Eastenders is still "depressing" at the moment, but they've managed to balance this with a few lighter moments and also show the heartbreaking stuff in a neutral way instead of overdoing the angst. If you look at the episode, Dot is crippled by loneliness, Carol is still screwed up, Jean tries to kill herself, Janine is weeping in the hospital abandoned by everyone after a weird quasi-suicide bid. Yet it just seemed true to the characters.

They may be doing what you mentioned with Ryan and Janine; they're both supposed to go down a darker road. I'm not sure if the writing will ever be consistent enough for Ryan though or if McDermott can pull it off.

• Members

They do seem to have gone backwards with Vanessa. Like, the Harry story was popular, so they've shelved it and everyone involved, when really, it was just Harry. They've made the point of putting her with Max, and I think it's a cop out not to follow that through when she's needed. Otherwise, just split them up, and move her out of his orbit, that way, whenever Max does something, we won't be wondering where her reaction is, and instead we'll get Lauren's take on things.

I got that straight away. What bugged me was how Stacey got there in such a hurried fashion. After Janine tries to frame Stacey by stabbing herself, she sees blood on her hand, remembers Bradley falling from the roof, and decides to throw herself off that same roof!? Why? She wasn't suicidal 5 minutes before Janine showed up, so why the sudden need to kill herself at that point? Seems it was just thrown in to ramp up the sensational drama, with no thought to story or where the character was psychologically at.

This is true; it all felt very in character. I did like how CB played Janine as if she was still sane, as her actions could've easily been played as if she had slipped into psycho territory. I like that she's kept her sanity.