Coronation Street: Discussion Thread

• Members

I wouldn't say he's even close. Corrie does not allow any producer to make a fraction of the changes she made at her soaps. 

You can't ruin Corrie. It's been dead for 10-15 years. Just as Emmerdale was already in terrible shape before he arrived. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

To be fair, I think even when the shows are already in terrible condition (but a lot of that could just be viewer preference ...) it sounds like he hammers it home even more and does even more damage. I haven't watched the UK soaps in a long while (and my viewing is often sporadic and I haven't seen enough of Corrie and EastEnders or Emmerdale's glory days, so I can't comment on quality) but I try to keep up with the gossip and read the threads in here whenever anyone decides to post in them. It does sound like he's a very damaging producer. But like the US soaps, the UK soaps just seem to keep recycling the same few, and many of them left when their shows were terrible under them, yet they get hired elsewhere ... that's never made sense to me.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

He doesn't. It's been a rotgut show for a long time now. The same people who claim the show is now horrible were quiet, or even openly supportive, of equally and in some cases even more disgusting, outright offensive stories over the last decade. 

• Members

Ok.

To be fair most of the current criticism seems to be intense focus on one character eating the show so I guess he's nowhere near JFP level of damage ... but I can't comment much and probably shouldn't have since I'm not really watching ... lol

Edited by KMan101

• Members

@DRW50, I agree. Corrie has been dead for a LONG time. 

I don't mind Iain McLeod, as I did like him at Emmerdale somewhat. 

Corrie's issue is that they need to clean house with a lot of characters. They have too much dead weight, and they have been walking the cobbles for too long. 

They've been in a funk for awhile. Like the start of the decade. Dare I say it, but Corrie's 50th anniversary should've literally wiped out 50% of the cast at that time.

Maybe it's a good thing It's fake news. I don't think Curly would fit too well in modern Corrie. I don't think the writers would give him anything great. Wouldn't want to see Curly acting like a moron. Like most of the Corrie characters act in present day Corrie. The stuff with Curly and Reg at the supermarket Bettabuy. Could be silly. But it was still better than what passes for comedy now.

Edited by victoria foxton

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm super excited because my DVD set of 70s episodes came in yesterday. This is the only North American Corrie release I've been able to find on Amazon, and I'm so grateful to finally have classic episodes of the show in crystal clear quality. It's crazy how much more intimate and "closer" you feel to the characters and actions when the show is presented as a videotaped drama, as intended, and not with the pseudo-film look that comes with being online.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I do think Angela Griffin is coming back. However, it doesn't make sense for Emma to be her daughter with Steve. Why couldn't it been her daughter with anyone else. I don't think her and Steve were even in the same orbit either by the time she left from what I read it was like she was mostly in the orbit of Jim and or Alex McKenna and her son Morgan. 

From the Classic episodes I've watched of Corrie. Angela does more of the heavy lifting with the character of Fiona than what the role is called for her. I mean to be fair she along with Kelly Crabtree were only a few black women to at least have memorable characters when you think about it.