Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Members

Oh god, the Lomax family is putting me to sleep. In addition to Grace & Trevor, Finn, Diane and others whose names I don't know. I also feel like Darren and Nancy are tired. I never liked her once she transitioned out of college and got with Darren. The last interesting story for her was the triangle with Ravi and Kris.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's most certainly not rare, but in fact the majority.

The ratings managed to push past 1 million last October-ish, having hovered around the 600-800K mark for years, and they stayed consecutively strong. But, this year they've fallen back into the 800-900K, sometimes even falling as low as 600-700K. Those viewers that they gained last year do seem to want to tune in, as they randomly venture back, pushing the numbers back over a million. But this never lasts these days.

People are sick of the gangster rubbish, the overuse of many characters, the poorly plotted stories, all the death, all the pointless stunts, all the forced misery, all the victimhood. He makes characters suffer, becoming victims, making them hated by everyone, and then resolving the plot, having everyone move on like all the nastiness never happened. He did it with Esther and Nancy, now JP, Sinead, Ste. Characters are no longer developed; the plot dictates their OTT actions.

Diane and Tony are a forced couple, and she's become so horrible recently. Tony became a drug mule, which was so out of character and dumb. Frankie has her vile moments, too, and her and Jack have been ruined with all dumb affairs, and Jack visiting a prostitute (Sinead). Fraser having an affair (and a kid) with Tegan is the most unbelievable (and creepiest) thing in the show's history. Sienna went psycho, got locked up, was let out (due to Fraser blackmailing the judge), and is now the victim. JP was raped, then tormented by his rapist, and is now in jail for hitting a homophobic student, no longer believed by Sam, b/c he had an affair with her spineless husband - his rapist is still roaming around free. Characters turn on family and friends in a blink of an eye for the flimsiest of excuses; they lose their brains and make stupid, rash actions for contrived, implausible reasons.

Everything than BK did wrong at EastEnders, he's brought over to HO. The show has lost it's identity (again), and has become hollow. Some people do seem to like all of the action, all the time, though... And that seems to be what BK is latching on to.

• Members

Based on how good Kirkwood's first stint on Hollyoaks was, I thought all the talk of his Eastenders being bad was just hateration. It's sad to see that it's apparently true. I wonder if he got lucky the first time with Hollyoaks and is a one-hit-wonder. It's crazy that besides Lucy Allan, all the subsequent showrunners stripped everything he established in terms of the tone and look of the show, yet he's continued on in that depressing vein.

• Members

I thought those dark stories were balanced out well with other things. And I never found Warren/Claire as dark as some of the stuff with Brendan or now. The darkest story I would say was the Niall story, but I liked that in the context of the show, with better balance. I loved that story actually. It was before the McQueen's were ruined and when they all had distinct personalities. I don't think that story would work right now because that family is so bland, like all of the others.

• Members

I am SMH at everything JP is doing and also what Danny is doing all to cover his tracks.

I think I'm one of the only ones who was liking the potential of Ste/JP, but now I don't know what's going to happen there

also I like how Sam was all protective with John Paul in the beginning when he told her about the rape

Edited by cassadine1991

• Members

The show looks and feels so weird now...I saw Monday's episode on Youtube just last night and I don't even understand how some of these people are talking to one another. How is Fraiser still alive? And what happened to Grace again? Was she sent to prison for Joe?

Can't believe Sandy is kissing Fraiser and then Frasier is over here lying to Teagan....guy makes me sick to my stomach. Glad to see handsome hot Joe is back but uggh at him with Linds. I'm sorry I know she was under a lot of pressure but her abortion would be unforgivable to me....

So Katy is really dead? How depressing....I don't even know if I want to know the details. While I still don't like Sinead and think all her hollering and screaming was completely unnecessary I do feel bad for her loss.

Ste remains as dumb and clueless as ever...he John Paul are made for each other in that sense.

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear

• Members

It always amuses me when I see people who are upset over the character that is ruining Ste. Doug, Sinead, JP. Essentially, everyone but his abuser. I wish they'd just come out and say that they don't give a [!@#$%^&*] about Ste unless Brendan is there to break his ribs out of love.

• Members

Is that directed at me? I don't think so but just curious....I don't care one bit for Brendan. He's probably the most sketchy nasty old white man I've ever seen on soaps (maybe second to the loser they got to replace Hunt Block on ATWT as Craig Montgomery)

As for Ste he's never been my favorite but I've enjoyed some of his pairings (especially with Doug) but overall he's very dumb. Esp when it comes to this mob thing. I get that Hollyoaks is turning into General Hospital and trying to make it seem like the police have no capability to protect anyone but still enough is enough...

• Members

Cindy is the highlight of the show. Especially during the period you're up to Chris.

I think she's the one character who hasn't been ruined or tainted, yet. *touch wood* Oh, and Dirk, Dodger, Dennis and maybe Holly.