OLTL: Discussion for the week June 2-6

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK, I watched the marathon just to see what all the fuss was about, and man, the Jessica/Nash goodbye scenes KILLED me. When they brought the little baby in there, I was done. I found Bree Williamson's acting very real and raw, but surprisingly not overdone or hammy. She made me identify with her fully.

One thing: I hate HATE HATE the Lucy Coe-ification of David Vickers. Tuc Watkins is a great, charming, sexy, FUNNY actor, but a little bit of the comic relief routine goes a long way with him. (I mention Lucy Coe because she was one of the low points of the Labine GH era with her ditziness; Lynn Herring is fab, but Lucy was like nails on a chalkboard for me.)

• Members

JUST watched the marathon and damn if it didn't go by way too quickly! It was Thursday already, and I was just devastated.

Very impressed with Bree Williamson, it's really the most "in it" I've ever seen her. At first I never saw her as Jessica. Then I felt they gave her Tess as a way of redefining Jessica in Bree Williamson terms. But somehow it all came together for me this week and she really embodied Jessica to me. Perhaps it is her life mirroring Viki's as someone mentioned earlier in the thread. But from the minute that Jessica began unraveling and finally burst into the hospital chapel and was a blubbering, begging, pleading mess..... her heart was just on the floor, and mine was right there with it.

She really got me when Clint told her she's stronger than she knows and her husband needs her right now. She pulled herself together and said to get Bree to the hospital and started preparing to do what she had to do. THAT's the strength I see coming from Clint and Viki's daughter.

EVERY scene of Natalie's was great for me, just because she seemed so "deer in the headlights" at what this mess has spiralled into, and there was just nothing she could do to make it right. She kept wanting to be there with the family, trying to keep every relationship the same as it was before the accident, but of course, she wasn't surprised by any reminder from anyone that things most likely will never be the same. Every mention of new widow Jessica, or newly fatherless Bree was a punch in the gut to Natalie, and she keeps clinging tighter to Jared... because he may be all she has left when the dust settles, and if she lets go now, then perhaps Nash really will have died for nothing.

Nash's death really did step up the stakes for everyone involved and I am just loving the hole he has left.... even though I liked Nash, Forbes, and felt he was an asset to the canvas. Sometimes characters can be more valuable dead than alive, which is sad, but true.

Robin Strasser was dripping this week, with pure venom and viciousness and I loved every second of it. But where we saw her most true wounded heart was in her fight with Adriana at the end of the week. I love what Strasser does to break her voice sometimes when a scene partner touches a nerve.

As far as I'm concerned, everyone was on point for me this week, as far as the acting. John Brotherton seemed to still be trying to find his way, but I consider him new for the first year, so I'm not closing the door on him yet.

The John/Talia/Antonio stuff fell a little short for me at the beginning of the week, just because I'm SO ready to see Susan Haskell's face again. But there was too much going on everywhere else on the canvas for me to have handled that this week as well.

There were so many great scenes and so much payoff was happening at once I don't see how anyone couldn't have enjoyed this week of OLTL. I'm so surprised at the days all these events fell on. Is it possible that it was all scripted with the intent to fall on other days of the week, but because of Memorial Day preemption cliffhangers were pushed back to a Monday or a Tuesday? And that's why there was no Friday cliffhanger?

And seriously.... how great is Jerry verDorn as Clint, by the way?! I was originally dead set against this recast because Clint Ritchie was so iconic in the role for me, but man, is he just selling every single relationship of Clint's on this show!

• Members

Come on, guys, 110 more posts to go! LOL :D

i'm getting ready to replay the marathon so I can record it on DVD forever and ever. I rarely do that, and certainly not with a soap I've only started watching since October.

• Members

The last times I've done that for this show were LIVE WEEK, about six years ago, and the two Tomlin special episodes. LIVE WEEK was great but still more of a gimmick than the tightly written powerhouse we've just seen.

Archived