Southland: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I held off watching the Wire- mostly because I live in such close proximity to such a lifestyle- I need not turn on the tv!!! :lol:

But I must say, what I have seen of the Wire is the reason I can't enjoy cop shows today. I'm thinking to myself- these cops are so well trained! They are such professionals! They care to solve all these crimes and not just the few!! I meant what I said early about my cynicism, but this show was enjoyable for me. I wasn't looking for realism, and was quite comfortable with the pace and characters.

But is there such thing as realism in television? It can be inspired by, focus around, but it can never be real! It's that philosophical question of can a copy, of a copy, of a copy be any good?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

NBC renews Southland

Warner Bros. TV gets 13-episode order

Nellie Andreeva

NBC has renewed midseason drama “Southland.”

The network on Friday night picked up 13 episodes from the cop drama exec produced by John Wells.

The Warner Bros. TV-produced series, starring Ben McKenzie, was a late addition to NBC’s midseason slate. It got off to a very strong start in “ER’”s Thursday 10 p.m. slot. The ratings have since slipped, but the network brass has been high on “Southland’”s broad appeal, creative potential and Wells’ solid track record as a showrunner.

Still waiting to hear their fate are bubble series “Chuck,” “Law & Order,” “Medium” and “My Name is Earl.”

NBC and “Earl” producer 20th TV are in negotiations for a full-season pickup. Odds are also in favor of renewals for “Medium,” probably as a midseason replacement again, and for veteran “L&O.” “Chuck” also is still in contention.

NBC is slated to present its fall schedule to advertisers Monday in New York.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i06056b3e43453484541cb18d1585b70a

• Members

Glad to hear the show has gotten a 13-episode order. I enjoyed Thursday's episode, "Sally in the Alley," but the show needs some tweaking. For the first time, I felt that all the stories fell flat... I see what the tried to do with the ending, but it was kinda blah and the whole Nate reveal was too rushed and without emotion. They need to change it a little bit, otherwise John Wells might just have his first major flop.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members

I've been anticipating this shows arrival over here (I forget which network picked it up), due to the positive reviews... until now.

So, what's the deal? Not a good show after all? Didn't perform well in the ratings?

• Members

NBC claims the show was too dark for the 9 PM ET slot, which baffles me, because they knew what the show was like when they gave it another season.

They're just idiots. I didn't even like the show all that much but to jerk people around this way, especially John Wells, who gave them a big show in ER, is baffling.

• Members

I hadn't done the math and seen that combined there are 13 episodes. That's good for a cable network because they can package it as one season and start fresh. Of course depending on the success of those episodes, they'd probably want to retool the final episode to create a cliffhanger or some sense of closure. The only problem is if the show could sustain 7 weeks in reruns airing as new episodes on this new network. Would the hope be to find a new audience because I can't see old fans tuning in in droves for that.

Whatever the case I just want the show back. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived