Port Charles Discussion Thread

• Members

Well, so what do people think of my idea of how things unfold for PC in the Kurt Cobain lives timeline idea, including where ABC has the freedom to reshuffle their daytime lineup without having to cede time to their affiliates, and PC has a better time slot and is able to continue past "The Gift?"

If you do like that, I'd like ideas of what kinds of arcs would have been done afterwards, and whether there should be yet another paradigm shift in which events in PC affect those in GH and vice versa? For example, what are people's thoughts about the Fleetwood Mac appearance and Stevie being a witch idea?

Edited by Toxic34

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Well, with all due respect, soaps love to go for the unbelievable and the uber-dramatic, over the likes of realism. Which is part of the fun, after all. I mean, PC's debut started with Audrey being operated on with a power drill while the hospital is taken over by armed terrorists. So when we're already operating on the absurd, how is it really any different when we add vampires, angels and time travel to the mix?

• Members

I just had an interesting dream involving PC last night. Now, keep in mind, as dreams are wont to do, the details are changed considerably. In fact, the character names very much changed. But of course, I could recognize the details enough to see that it was involving PC.

Anyways, apparently I was in the position of Lucy, and she was being part of some kind of strange "Intervention/This Is Your Life" hybrid, also framed as part of some kind of ID channel investigation as well. It was basically some kind "look what your life is, and all the drama you cause." The response is "you don't know how things work in Port Charles." Suddenly the entire history of characters in GH/PC suddenly appear, spilling their guts. Except for Caleb, and suddenly it becomes. "All the people you asked to come, and who's not here? Do you now believe that he is a vampire and  poses a great threat? There is suddenly an outcry of panic. And that's all I remember, given how fuzzy the details tend to become after you wake up. I wish I could be more helpful.

• Members

Being attacked by violent thugs is an unfortunate part of real life for some individuals. Vampires, clones, devil possession, flying to heaven on a space ship, jumping into paintings, mad scientists freezing the world, etc., are not. 

The determination of clueless PTB to foist painfully stupid fantasy material onto soaps is what destroyed the genre and left it in the tattered state it's in today.

• Members

Supernatural elements have been shown to work in soaps, as Dark Shadows has demonstrated. In many ways, PC was stuck being GH's kid sibling until the arcs. Arguably, the arcs kept the show around longer, and some might feel that they'd work even better today in the post-Twilight world. Why did the critics enjoy the arcs more and soon have Emmy buzz building?

I'm also saying, that when you have a series known for elaborate kidnapping plots, faked deaths, bouts of amnesia, plastic surgery to "hide identities", lengthy comas, and a premiere episode involving POWER DRILL SURGERY, it really isn't that much of a leap.

• Members

Here are ideas of my own in terms of creating several arcs past "The Gift."

-The Crisis: Livvie is conflicted over carrying Caleb's child, Rafe and Alison are now expecting, Jamal wants into Imani's world, and Lucy, continuing her quest to eliminate vampires, discovers a witch's coven.

-Parallel: Serena discovers a gateway to an alternate dimension where her mother is alive, but every other character is acting differently

-Exposure: PC/GH crossover arc (events influence each other in both shows) in which Caleb and Sonny become allies of convenience, and Lucy receives unexpected help from Stevie Nicks

-Dark Shadows: Lucy and the others uncover a shared secret history of Port Charles being connected to Barnabas Collins and his world

-Desperation: Caleb extends his aims to the entire ABC Daytime universe, and the characters of all shows interact with each other, with events spanning all series

-Hope: The "proper" finale of PC

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I happened to find, via the Wayback Machine, an interesting PC fansite that ran up through 2007, and even included fan-fic scripts for a continuation past The Gift: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.portcharlesexplosion.com/

Does anyone remember this site? And if so, does anyone know what happened to the webmaster of this site after he closed things down?

• 10 months later...