Mariah Carey - E=MC^2

Sylph

• Members
2edbf3o.jpg

I've just listened to some previews, and they're just – perfect :D, the album will contain everything a person would expect of Mariah.  B) The fans will looove it, Mariah haters will hate it. The important thing is that there's no irritating squeaky whistle register (at least 99% of the time); every song is extremely polished and has the typical Mariah sound and restrained arrangements with Roland kicks and hi-hats, pianos, acoustic guitars... "Hit singles surrounded by classy filler." :D

The Observer had the chance to preview the album and the critic noted that "each track is precision-tooled to sound as if it were born to be banging out of a Hummer in Miami on a sunny Saturday".

The release is scheduled for April, 15th. I'll think that she'll appear on Oprah Show that day.

So far, I liked Danja's Migrate (featuring T-Pain), Storch's Side Effects and Cox's I Stay In Love. But actually every song is goood.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Word Ryan..

She doesn't even do those signature pop ballads that she was known for anymore. It's all trendy mid-tempo R&B drivel. I've read a few advance reviews that were very harsh. I'd post them, but Sylph might accuse me of purposely trying to damage Mariah's name. :P

Mariah's never been a solid album's artist, she's always been a singles artist though. Her albums are usually filled with 3 or 4 good singles, while the remaining tracks are filler.

• Members

Yes, she is the best, and I thoroughly liked the album.

And you two – Y&RWorldTurner and Ryan – stop ruining my topics! :P Kidding, of course, I want to hear different opinions, but if you hate her so much, why do you listen to it? Why is it so important to say her latest product is cr*p? I bet that if she did an album à la Daydream or Butterfly, you would hate it as much as you hate this one.

It's all about one's expectations – sure, I'd take the glory days Mariah any time over this "R&B mid-tempo drivel" Mariah, but this album delievered what I expected from her. I just like it.

And, Y&RWorldTurner, post those harsh critiques! I revel in reading those! :D

• Members

I don't hate Mariah Carey. I grew up a Mariah Carey fan. Just because I have disliked much of her latest work, doesn't mean that I hate her. IMO, I feel Butterfly was one of her best albums, and I'd LOVE for her to make another album like that. For me, it was the perfect balance of the mid-tempo Mariah that she was known for, as well as the beautiful ballads.

I liked her last album "The Emancipation of Mimi" but I didn't think it was anything great. I only liked maybe 3 songs on the CD. I miss the "old" Mariah. I will still buy her CD because I support her and like a few songs, but it's nothing groundbreaking, new or special for Mariah.

• Members

No I wouldn't, in fact, Butterfly was the time I started to detest her music and ditzy image. Good music is good music, Mariah's always been a singles artist, her albums tend to be very filler heavy.

Mariah debut album is still my favourite album of her's. It's also by far her most consistent album in terms of flow and critical acclaim (something her career has had very little of, outside of initial praise for her voice).

• Members

Haven't I mentioned the filler in the initial post? :P Forgot to add that. I know you like Vision of Love, I hate that song :D, but love the rest of the album.

Why do you always call on the authorities? It's OK when your opinion coincides with theirs, but sometimes I'd like a post without "... critical acclaim (something her career has had very little of..." :D

P. S. I'm waiting for those reviews!

• Members

I grew up listening to her, too! She's perhaps the first artist I got to love completely, there just wasn't a song or anything she did that I didn't like and that I didn't listen to. I just don't have any bad memories, feelings etc. when I think about Mariah, quite the opposite actually – she just reminds me of something beautiful that will always be there; I always have positive associations whenever I listen to any of her albums.

I actually think this one's better; I liked 3 or 4 songs in her previous album, now I love them all. Like she said: "But the way I like to look at it is the last album was the main course, and the new one is the dessert!" :P

• Administrator

Music Box is my favorite Mariah album. So many great songs. I miss her pop ballads. R&B Mariah is okay, but I will always love Pop Mariah from the 90's. Her songs with Walter Afanasieff (producer/songwriter) were the best.

• Members

Anyone would prefer the 90's Mariah... ) Unfortunately, I don't think she'll take that path anytime soon. I always have this hidden fear that in case that happens it would sound dated and passé.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear some remnants of her once great voice in these new songs (she actually recently said the voice had never abandoned her, she just changed her vocal style to a more breathy, aspirated one) and she sang them a bit deeper, which soothes my ears (generally my favourite female voice is a deep contralto à la Toni Braxton; Mariah is a soprano, but I don't have any problems with that :D). And they polished the voice with studio gimmickry, so it sounds good. :D

BTW, she has an interview in Billboard, April 5th issue.

• Members

IMO, ever since she divorced Tommy Mattola, Mariah's music has gone down in quality. Butterfly was her last good album, though The Emancipation of Mimi had some highlights on it.

But who knows. I'm hoping this one will be good.

Touch My Body just gets caught in my head!

• Members

7 weeks on Hot 100 so far.

The sentence "each track is precision-tooled to sound as if it were born to be banging out of a Hummer in Miami on a sunny Saturday" just keeps buzzing in my head because it so perfectly describes this album, it's unbelievable. :lol::D

Archived