Mariah Carey - E=MC^2

Sylph

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think we're talking about the same thing, only you misunderstood me. Honestly, how can you care about a song just because of the lyrics (with or without the melody) that are the same in gazillion other pop hits? I think that people care about a song because the melodic line touches them in some way, among other things.

You adore Devil Wouldn't Recognize You, for example, so I would like to know what makes that song special. Lyrics-wise.

I know the lyrics not because I adore the songs, but because they're catchy and after three listens you know them all. I can memorize a lot of songs and not care about them a tiny bit. Take the awful Umbrella, I hated the song, yet I know every verse.

• Members

I'm really loving "Love Story," "Migrate," "I'm that chick,"and "Side effects." "Bye, Bye" is growing on me. An I really have no problem with Mariah doing a couple of verses in regae, was the reviewer above not listening to the song, because clearly Mariah was playing around with damian marley. I've been a fan of mariah since Vision of love, if I didn't abandon her after Glitter I'm not gonna abandon her now. :lol: As for her musical choice I have no problem with Mariah going more hip hop, but I really wish she would have stuck with her ballad formula from the earlier years, where she had more deph and range in her voice. In a way this album sort of is a mix between young and old mariah but leaning heavily towards the young mariah.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, I will speak for this person LOL. I think DWRY features some of Madonna's greatest lyrics ever.

you almost fooled yourself this time, let all of the saints be praised;

you hide your sadness behind your smile, and you keep your lost heartbreak.

the steps that edge along the ledge, they're much higher than they seem;

but I've been on that ledge before, you can't hide yourself from me

This is just one example from that song ... very descriptive, very moody, very different from usual pop lyrics.

But I agree that a melody is what usually appeals to me in a pop song. Natasha Bedingfield's "Pocketful of Sunshine" is very catchy, but I don't think the lyrics are that great.

• Members

I think Music Box is average. It was like the singles were good and the rest of the album was trash. I think that's her most inconsistent album but still better than Charmbracelet and Glitter which were consistently bad. And I'm glad she finally ditched Walter A and his bland sound.

My favorite Mariah studio albums

1. E=MC2

2. Daydream and The Emancipation of Mimi (tie)

3. Emotions

4. Mariah Carey

5. Rainbow and Music Box (tie)

6. Butterfly

7. Charmbracelt

8. Glitter

• Members

I understand why people from the beginning of mariah's career aren't fans of her now, her music has drastically changed. She went from soft pop to r&b. Mariah has said the mariah at the beginning of her career was not her, it was her husband tying her into an image that would sell. So the mariah we had at the end of the 90's was the real mariah. I really applaud mariah for getting out of that abusive relationship with her husband and making music she wants to make. Thats why I support her 100%, sure not all the music was great (aka glitter, charmbracelet), but overall I love most of her music. I love her music now because its a mix of ballads and really up-tempo songs something I feel that was lacking in the beginning of her career. Sure she would have up-tempo songs, but I can only really remember 3 in the early 90's "someday," "emotions," and "dreamlover." I really like her singing R&B its more true to her and her music style.

• Members

I am not a fan of Mariah's music, because I don't care for her voice, but I agree wholeheartedly with your first statement. She has always been a bit of a heroine in my eyes for ridding herself of Tommy Motolla and an abusive lifestyle.

I remember an interview in which she said she really liked listening to Hole's song "Petals" and liked Courtney Love's voice, and I always thought that provided a glimpse into the real Mariah.

Archived