Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

So I recently started re watching SB on Candy's channel (Well mostly Cruz and Edens Story)...and what struck me was how good the Character development/ progression was reflected in the story for Marcy's Eden (and also them as a couple).

While watching the episodes from 85 (I had seen some of it and was not an avid follower as I became a fan during the Tori timeline) , Eden was this mostly cold, selfish, arrogant rich spoilt brat with huge trust & commitment issues... Her love for Cruz (rather his for her) really thawed most of that Ice in her heart...Cause I had always seen her as this Kind, caring...giving to a fault kinda person in the later years(except for Cruz's Ex Gf's)..

Think this was a beautiful progression for Marcy as and artist and a great character arc..Thoughts from the experts here?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

Rest in power - Minx (all debates on the logic of the recast should be suspended for at least a month, in her honor)

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by j swift

• Members

Just coming to post about Janis Paige, myself! While I am one of those that thought Paige was too young to play Minx, she did a great job with what she had.

And to live to 101 is fortunate, indeed! May she rest in peace.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Same. It was a little jarring at first, but then again lots of recasts are. I thought she had a solid and enjoyable take on it. There were a lot of other TV shows I remember her fondly from too growing up, like an All in the Family three-parter as a waitress Archie is tempted to have an affair with and an eccentric aunt on Eight is Enough. Thanks for posting this, j swift; this is the first I've heard of it.

Edited by Ryan Mason

• Members
Posted (edited)

https://www.instagram.com/p/C74kYvPPEm_/

Please register in order to view this content

abonemartinez
Once upon a time, Jerry and Bridget Dobson created the legendarily genre-expanding, convention-exploding, globally distributed and iron curtain-penetrating show #SantaBarbara. In so doing, they changed a lot of people's lives –– and mine has been among them. Tomorrow evening, June 7th, live on CBS, Jerry and I will be inducted into the Daytime Emmy Gold Circle, in honor of our 50+ years of service in the industry, and I'm thrilled to be able to share such a moment with him. It all feels like the sweetest dream at this point –– like a miracle that keeps coming true. So fortunate, and so grateful. #MarcyWalker #cruzandeden #aliveintheworld

(I think the above picture was taken at a special reception for the Gold and Silver Circle honorees)

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I always had the idea that the Dobsons didn't like A. Martinez because of his connection to JFP. When SB won their first emmy, Bridget walks past him while hugging everyone else. I'm glad JB and AM could reconnect again.

• Members

I just re-watched the clip of that win, a video I've watched dozens of times & I don't get any sense that Bridget was avoiding him, mostly she like the rest were just so thrilled & also I believe she was right in being in a hurry to make her way to the podium. 

However, I'm here to ask for help. I cannot find my notes & I am annoyed. What were the exact dates for: them being locked out, settling with New World & settling with NBC? Thanks! 

• Members

I get recommended a lot of Robert/Eden/Cruz scenes on youtube. A lot of them involve Cruz or Robert manhandling her (Cruz/Eden in the cave during the Robert barr storyline; Robert throwing her around while reenacting Raul's murder) which strikes me as very odd considering this was after Eden's rape storyline. Was there any criticism of this at the time?

• Members

Also, as an International fan of Santa Barbara...always found the Actors, dialogues, plot points (well most of the times) to be top notch...what was the reason for its low ratings in the US whilst its phenomenal success outside of it ?

Also, think Marcy was brilliant in that horrible send off Split personality story line...wish they had brought her and A back one last time before the show ended...well them dancing away in the last episode with the end credits roll on would have been great too.

• Members

Time slot. Time slot. Time slot.

For the most part, NBC pitted Santa Barbara against General Hospital on ABC and Guiding Light on CBS, both of which enjoyed high ratings at the time in the same time slot across all markets. When NBC canceled Search for Tomorrow in 1986, it launched its "It Will Excite You" campaign, which promoted their three-hour block of serials starting with Days of Our Lives, followed by Another World, and ending with Santa Barbara in most of the markets across the country. Some markets chose to air Santa Barbara in a mid-morning time slot, which took them out of the previously-mentioned competition.

I'd wager Santa Barbara was pretty consistent in having around three million viewers per season, which is good for how new it was, but it remained consistently at number ten in the rankings of soaps.