OLTL/Y&R: Article about the possible spin-offs from TV Guide

• Members

Obviously by picking OLTL and Y&R next for spin-off's, that must mean they get good viewership on SOAPnet. Regardless of the quality of Y&R, their ratings would earn them the spin-off. Of course it could be complete crap like Night Shift, but at least people would watch it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As far as Frons trying to kill AMC to make room for DAYS...

Frons may have an eternal hard-on for DAYS, but believe you me that God forbid the decision was made to cancel one of the ABC soaps, that hour slot wouldn't have a chance in hell of going to DAYS or any other soap...ten will get you twenty that the slot would be filled either by a third hour of GOOD MORNING AMERICA or another talk show/newsmagazine...a lot cheaper to produce and much better return in profits. Hell if it weren't for TODAY (the daily Labor Day Telethon) NBC would be dead broke right now. :angry:

• Members

I don't know about Gigi, since it's obvious they're going to tie her and her kid to someone in Llanview; but I could see the others in a show of their own, interacting with the "regulars" at the Bonjour, along with people who come and go in town.

It'd be like a comic soap opera version of "Alice."

• Members

I always figured ABC intended to spinoff Erica Kane's "New Beginnings" into an actual vehicle for Susan Lucci should AMC ever get the ax. It would be a way of keeping their biggest daytime star without the baggage of her failing soap. The guest spots on THE VIEW were also pretty much dry-runs for her own talk show IMO.

Of course, "New Beginnings" is lame, and Lucci isn't irreverent enough of a personality on her own (without the brash Erica Kane persona) to make it successful.

Archived