OLTL/Y&R: Article about the possible spin-offs from TV Guide

• Members

Want more One Life to Live? Brian Frons does. The new boss at Soapnet, says he's already met with OLTL executive producer Frank Valentini about a spin-off ala General Hospital's Night Shift, which brought the cable channel record ratings last summer. Frons also wants the same with The Young and the Restless and has talked with Bill Bell, Jr., whose parents created that soap. Of course, all is on hold because of the writer's strike, but Frons is still willing to speculate. "One could easily imagine an OLTL spin-off focusing on Michael Easton's character, John McBain, solving a mystery for 13 weeks---a serial killer or whatever," Frons says. "On Y&R, maybe there's an alternate universe involving the Sharon-Nick-Phyllis triangle." Night Shift will return, though Frons says he won't repeat the mistakes of Season 1, when plots didn't sync up with those on the mother ship(Maxie, dying on one show, was a very busy slut on the other). Frons admits the spin-off "put a big strain on the GH team." He'll bring in a new set of writers and producers to handle Season 2.

LMAO told ya about John McBain :lol: and is he effing kidding about the Y&R one? :rolleyes:

He might as well as help up a sign saying FU All My Children and their fans

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, that is a slap to AMC, but when was this article published? I know he made comments about a spin off involving McPain months ago. Then I thought all this talk of spin offs was shelved because NS did poorly towards the end. I think it's interesting he's thinking of doing something involving Y&R.

• Members

OK The Y&R one sounds über retarded... however, thinking of the John McBain one, I can see difficulties keeping the John on daytime vs. the John on primetime separate... SO if that means in order to keep it straight, John had to leave the daytime-OLTL.. good riddance... Then those who WANT to watch him, by choice, and I'm sure there are dozens of you... then all the better.

• Members

It's in the tv guide that just came out today..........

I doubt that Ryan, ABC can't afford the licensing fees for Days, plus he'd be pimping a Days spin-off if so and he's not.

I do believe he brought them in to kill AMC though, he's already said he doesn't care for AMC and has never watched it.

• Members

Frons is all GH isn't he?

I'm happy for OLTL at least - they've shifted from being the redheaded stepchild of the ABC Daytime lineup and are probably their shining star right now... But, this too shall pass, along with the AMC crappiness, they shift. Nothing lasts forever. Regimes change and so do the shows. So, yeah AMC is in a slump, it'll take a lot to get it out but it'll happen.

• Members

Stranger things have happened and I think your right. He pisses off enough fans, maybe gets some actors to jump ship...it softens the blow.

I don't care what anyone says. Frons wants Days. I don't want it to go there and he will deny it until Days is available to him. He probably thinks with network support and some help it can rank much higher then it is and he is right in that. I hate to see what he will do to it but I have had the feeling for awhile that all this may be the case.

This is really stupid. John McBain? Phyllis/Nick/Sharon? Come on. What a joke.

I do like the fact that he went to Brad Bell and not Latham :lol:

• Members

I love Michelle too, but the last thing I want to see is more of that triangle. It's hard because when I look at these shows I can't see aspect that I would really enjoy in a spin off. At least it's only an hour a week.

It might have been interesting for OLTL to do the Texas stuff as a spin off, as long as David Vickers is around. :P

• Members

It wouldn't be up to Frons to acquire Days or replace AMC with any other soap. That would ultimately be Anne Sweeney's decision, if anything, I can see them going for yet another failed GH spin-off project.

ABC wants programming they own out-right, which doesn't give Days much of a chance. If you've noticed, most of their primetime shows are owned and operated by ABC, Disney, or one of the many Disney umbrella companies. All of their soaps are also network owned and operated, and since Days' licensing fees are known to be rather extravagant, I don't see ABC ever adding it to its lineup.

Archived