Stealing the Music

Sylph

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Everyone mentiosn that Public Affair Holiday thing--i hear more of Madonna's Dress You Up especially int he backing vocals at the end--still for me it's more of a "hommage" to early madonna than a direct steal. Pastiche isn't illegal ;)

Whatabot all the songs that have ripped off Giorgio Moroder/Donna Summer's I Feel Love (somethign Madonna basically admitted by mixing I Feel Love with her Future Lovers at her last tour)

Madonna was sued over Frozen and had to pay royalties but I forget the specifics. I honestly think it's something that's hard to prove and prob pretty common--of course when you write songs phrases you've heard all your life pop in. Look at classical--Mozart's famous Requiem lifts whole pages out of Haydn (the younger Haydn)'s Requiem

• Members

That's the one that uses the Canon the most though I think--the most directlya nd throughout

We can disucss ripping off the classics :P I just think the list will be endless--plus in a way I think pop musicicans consider it their preorgative--the way sampling a folk melody would be when a tune's been aroudn that long. So it's not as shocking

• Members

Hands down my fave working film composer is Jo Hisaishi, the Japanese composer. His relationship with master animation directo Hayao Miyazaki echos Spielberg's to Williams though I honestly prefer their films. ANyway when he was starting--his first movie, 1984's Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, he had never before worked with an orchestra on traditonal movie music, only havign done minamilistic electronic music before which is why the movie uses both styles--and there's a big chunk, maybe cuz it was new to him, that rips off Bernstein/Sondheim's Somewhere from West Side Story--lol always makes me smile as it's at one of the big climactic parts.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

So far, Timbaland “sampled” from the following Middle Eastern artists (source: Wikipedia):

1. Mayada El Hennawy Alouli ansa became Aaliyah's More Than a Woman
  2. Warda Al Jazairia's (Algerian Rose) Batwannes Bik became Aaliyah's Don't Know What To Tell Ya
  3. Sherine's Aal Saaban Aleh became Ne-Yo and Fabulous' Makes Me Better
  4. Aitha Al Menhali's Meshkeltek became Utada Hikaru's Exodus ’04
  5. Abdel Halim Hafez' Khosara became Jay-Z's Big Pimpin
  6. Muhlis Akarsu's Allah Allah Desem Gelsem became Nelly Furtado's Wait For You
  7. Acidjazzed Evening -> Do It

You can check all these songs on YouTube!

• Members

Other known thefts-

The classic Vanilla Ice Ice Ice baby vs Queen's Under Pressure. Queen won.

The Verve asked permission of the Rolling Stones for the opening of Bittersweet Symphony, they declined, the Verve did it anyway, and lost all royalties from the song. I think that is how it ended up, but I do remember they were not supposed to use it and did anyway.

Didn't Beyonce have to recall the initial release of B'Day because she covered a song, or heavily sampled a song and the original artists didn't approve? Her team didn't get clearance. Maybe it was a limited edition or something?

• Members

I forgot that The Phantom of the Opera plagiarises themes from Echoes by Pink Floyd.

I also read somewhere that Alicia Keys borrowed from classical composers, possibly Chopin, being her favourite, but I couldn't find anything on that. There was also talk of Mariah ripping off Mozart.

Archived