DAYS: Hogan Sheffer and Dena Higley

• Members

I was shocked when i first read that Dena Higly was coming back to Days but its Co-HW not HW. She may be a better Co HW. I will admit that i did enjoy Dena Higly's rein as Days Head writer. She did have some out there storylines but i enjoyed them. I loved that she pimped the hell out of Rex and Mimi, and well they are like my all-time favorite couple. She knows days history as well. She loves romance, she did give us romance during her rein. I think it could be interesting with Sheffer because he loves danger and Higly loves romance. She did give us Bope Romance when they were bountyhunters, i love them working together, Kristian and peter can do it all together.

I think Sheffer should write the adult storys like brady vs Dimera because he writes them better. I think Dena Higly should handle the Sorority storyline/young adult storys. She can write for the young adults very well because i enjoyed her storys with the teens especially Rex and Mimi. I am loving the sorority story, it is being handled very well and it is actually good.

I am still going to wait till dena and sheffer rein starts together, it could be great. Meg Kelly didn't work for days. I wonder what Ed Scott is doing, he is not an idiot, she he must have a reason for bring Dena Higly in as co-hw. If she writes for the teens, i can see her doing another dating game with stephanie/max/chelsea/nick/morgan and someone else. I can see her pimping out Max and Morgan, like she did with Rex and Mimi. Remember when she gave Chloe leukemia, she may give Stephanie a story with her getting an STD from her rapist(ford) or maybe from Jeremy, give the johnson family a juicy story and shelley would so rock that story.

It would be quite interesting to see how Sheffer and Higly does together, this could work. We may get a balance of danger and romance. I hope we get some romance soon on days because the only things days is right now is danger. I want some cute playful scenes between Max and Morgan, lets see them go to a carnival together or just having Fun.

I hope we get some more love scene or maybe a shower scene between Max and Morgan. I cant wait till Higly starts because it should be interesting. Heck she may be better as co-writer to Sheffer. She is not the worst HW is days history, Langon is.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Nov 9 2007, 09:36 PM)
Sheffer already is a disaster and Higley will only make it worse. I expect very little romance and lots of doom and gloom on the show. That was Higley's specialty on OLTL. I wonder why Corday would want her back?!

Apparently, he has no idea what he's doing.

• Members

That, YRBB, is the textbook definition of "understatement."

I admire your optimism, StephanieLover17, but I think a Sheffer/Higley pairing will be calamitous. (That is, if it's allowed to go very far. I tend to think Higley's being brought back in, so Sheffer can be eased out.)

• Members

Yeah, but, DAYS would still have Dena Higley to contend with.

As I see it, Ken Corday felt he needed to make a change (from James E. Reilly), so he called upon Sheffer, who came with the history of being a three-time Emmy winner for ATWT. Unfortunately, it's been over a year for Sheffer at DAYS, and things are not improving. Therefore, Corday probably assumes he's better off w/ Higley (although, many would beg to differ, lol).

The truth is, even if DAYS had a fighting chance to survive beyond 2009, Corday would blow that chance, b/c he just doesn't understand what is right for the show. Betty Corday, Shelley Curtis, even Al Rabin and Wes Kenney "got" DAYS better than he does. It's as simple as that. And no matter how much Edward Scott has improved the look of the show, I'm afraid his potential for greatness there will be limited; b/c, at the end of the day, it's Corday who has the bigger financial stake of the show.

Honestly, short of Sony persuading Corday to relinquish day-to-day control of his show, I'm afraid there is nothing anyone can do to help DAYS at least go out with some dignity.

• Members

But why? She almost got the show cancelled during her short stint as headwriter, not to mention the OLTL debacle. If Higley could get another job, I swear there's a bidding war out there for Megan McTavish and will be one if Lynn Latham ever leaves Y&R.

• Members

Why? Because Corday is an idiot and his intelligence in regards to the show has gone downhill over time. He does all this fan research and let's rabid fanbases drive the show instead of listening to the rational fans who know what the show needs. The reason why the show has fallen so far is him. No one else. The writers contributed to it and NBC helped too but he is the one that takes most of the blame.

• Members

First, Sheffer wasn´t fired. His cowriter was demoted. Second, Dena Highley worked for DAYS for more than 20 years, she obviously has something what HW appreciates because she survived many of them. I agree her ideas as a solo HW were questionable, even if she probably had to deal with a lot external pressures at the time. But she knows the show, she knows the characters and she is probably very capable in regards of the daily planning and timing of the stories. As long as she has someone above her who controls her I think she can be a very valuable asset.

And the show IS improving. There is a huge change from the moment Ed Scott started supervising the show and it´s getting better and better. Of course, someone who automatically FF´s 99 percent of the show because his favorites aren´t on is not able to see that. But I feel there is finaly some vision and driving force behind the show again and the writers aren´t making it as they go along anymore. Obvious mistakes are quickly repaired, chemistry is acknowledged, and we even have some real sweeps stories!

Besides, December will be a first month where Ed Scott was there when the storyline outlines were created. And I think we can look forward to another huge change, not just with the promised Marlena vs. Stefano story, but overall feel of the show.

• Members

ICAM with everything that you said, but I highlighted what stuck out most. People who only watch for one person, or for one couple, can't objectively say whether or not the show is improving, because frankly, when you see things going at 100 mph on your televison screen, everything looks the same, good or bad.

• Members

Superb post, Jane.

I agree. It's been improving every day IMO. The whole show has more cohesion. It looks great. The feel is great. Everything is connected and the stories have direction again. I think next month will be the big month because, like you said, Ed was there for story outlines. I think we will see old stories end and new ones begin. Days is going to try to grab fans during the holidays and start off 2008 on the right foot. It seems like an Ed Scott move and I just hope it pays off. I would think it would.

Archived