Days: TV Guide Article about John's Death/Drake's firing

• Members

The Big Black-Out

Was it worth killing John Black? Days of Our Lives fans have said goodbye to the intensely popular hero--played by 22 year vet Drake Hogestyn--and many are now claiming they'll quit watching the show in protest.

This may not be an idle threat: when Hogestyn and equally beloved screenpartner Deidre Hall were written off Days for a long stretch last spring, the ratings took a nosedive and many of those viewers didn't return.

In September, Days hit the bottom of the household Nielsens, it's lowest ratings ever. Considering that, the firing of Hogestyn could be a moronic--if not downright suicidal--move. Adding to the weirdness, NBC has dumped it's daytime programming VP Annamarie Kostura and shut down her entire department. Who knows what any of this means?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

>> Adding to the weirdness, NBC has dumped it's daytime programming VP Annamarie Kostura and shut down her entire department. Who knows what any of this means?

What else? It means NBC's pulling out of the soap business.

• Members

Yeah, NBC isn't going to keep it around, but the departure of Drake isn't going to mean the end for DAYS, they just need to give Dee a frontburner story. And I truly believe there is a lot of life left in this show, and that ABC or CBS will pick it up. But I don't think that will happen unless another show is cancelled. If I could pick, I would send DAYS to CBS, and then either combine ATWT and GL, or make them half hour shows. Although I'm sure the fans of those shows wouldn't agree. But, just imagine the show that could come out of a GL-ATWT combo

• Members

I would send DAYS to CBS, and then either combine ATWT and GL, or make them half hour shows. Although I'm sure the fans of those shows wouldn't agree. But, just imagine the show that could come out of a GL-ATWT combo

not a good idea. p&g tried to infuse several 'another world' characters to the show it was originally spun-off from. it was painful to watch, and as bad as atwt can be, it does not deserve the identity crisis that it would go through if the shows combine.

• Members

I agree DAYS to CBS, combine GL & ATWT, or cancel GL altogether. The wonderful Gina Tognoni can then come home to ONE LIFE as Kelly Cramer. And some of the wonderful actors on GL----Marj Dusay, Crystal Chappell, Robert Newman, Maeve Kinkead-- can move to ATWT or another show, maybe move some of the characters, maybe 5 or so to ATWT.

• Members

Um no thanks, why would CBS want Days, when GL has consistently outrated it in total viewers and households for a while now? GL and ATWT also cost less to produce than Days...

Gina's already home on GL, in her Emmy award winning role. :)

Most of you are forgetting that Days is the most expensive soap to produce and its budget problems are already out of this world. Coupled with its massive ratings decline, CBS is not going to even touch it.

I like how all of you want ATWT or GL to be canceled or shortened, and want Days to take its place? Hypocrisy and lack of consideration much? Some of you are such fangirls...

• Members

Hold on there :) There is a difference between what someone would want in their own ideal world, and another thing to actually think you had any power to make it happen! lol People are just throwing out suggestions and opinions; it's not personal. I don't want any soaps cancelled, I would love for DAYS to stay on NBC and for them to add new soaps. But that isn't happening

• Members

There really is no easy solution. Anytime you terminate one show for another, there is going to be a huge outcry. But certainly, merging two shows into one, is better than losing both. We're headed for a scary world, where most likely, there won't be a DAYS, ATWT, and GL. Although I'm a fan of all soaps, my personal opinion is there is more life in GL and DAYS, then say ATWT. But again, since it's only my opinion, and doesn't count for much when decisions are made, I don't feel bad about it.

• Members

Yes, but I find it highly disrespectful to other soaps fans, when someone suggests their soap should be canceled to make room for another. It kind of goes against their original cause.

I'd love for Days to find a home some place, if NBC gets rid of it. However, I don't want any other soap to be canceled to make room for it. It's not fair, no matter what way you look at it.

Archived