Nuns & Priests on Soaps

• Members

It seems at one time or another,shows have used nuns,priests or ministers as part of the story.

Days

Sister Marie Horton-She joined and left the convent over the years.

Jessica Blake -became a novitiate(?)named Angelique at the sme time she had a psuedo slutty persona named Angel.

John Black at one stage believed he was a priest.

Y&R

Fr. Todd Williams -Paul's brother was mentioned for more than 20 years before appearing on screen.

AMC

Erica dressed as a nun at one time -can't remember the details.

Fr Tierney provided counsel to Tom &Erica during their marriage

GL

Rev Rutledge past and present

Father Ray Santos still appears from time to time

Can you recall more and perhaps comment on the treatment on religion in soaps.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's obvious that AMC is Christian themed - not necessarily now. Father Clarence has appeared the previous 3 or so years for the Christmas miracle providing counsel to Bianca, JR, Kendal and Dixie. Christenings and weddings with a priest or minister are regular. It would be nice to see other religions though. I would have thought that a Jewish family would have settled in Pine Valley by now, or to be really groundbreaking they should have a realistic Muslim family. They showed that Brad is actually Jewish on Y & R but it hasn't really been followed through upon.

• Members

Just in the past year on DOOL we've had the following characters pose as priests or nuns: Kayla, Max, Adrienne and Andre (I think that's everyone). We also had a flashback storyline involving the seduction of a novice played by Alison Sweeney that also featured a negative corrupt priest stereotype and a negative busybody nun stereotype.

For some reason the characters on this show have gotten way more religious than they used to be in the last year (Amazing Grace being played at Lucas and Sami's wedding and being sung by Phillip, Belle and Shawn on the boat and the recitation of prayers and invoking God a lot more) almost to a hypocritical extent in some cases, while at the same time the show has made a mockery of religion quite often with all the costumes and the clear disdain for organized religion that rang loud and clear in the Santeen storyline. It's pretty annoying. I wish DOOL would stop.

• Members

On OLTL, before Andrew, there was Father Tony Vallone, who fell for Gabrielle Medina...the actors have been married ever since. ;) Joey Buchanan also joined the clergy.

GH had Liz Keifer's Camelia McKay as a nun who was in love with Duke Lavery...and who thought they were half-siblings.

RH had Sister Mary Joel (who turned out to be Jack's mother) and Father McShane, to whom everybody confessed their secrets. :lol:

• Members

That's because Megan McTavish most likely grew up Irish Catholic, considering how, under her pen, the show always talked about God, used chapels, talked about "sins of the father" over and over and over again as well as Livia's speech last Christmas (penned by Beall) about Jesus Christ dying on the cross to forgive us of our sins in order to make Tad's keeping silent and not having legal reprecussions for torturing and killing Greg Madden acceptable (which I totally bawked at)... and how she's rumored to have written a story bible for her own soap called "Purgatory."

But I agree with the fact that there should be other denominations/beliefs brought in. While Agnes Nixon was speaking in a metaphorical sense of everyone being all God's children, I don't think she ever intended on it being strictly Christian or Catholic centered the way McTavish seemed to make it.

• Members

Love Is A Many Splendored Thing had the controversial story of Laura Donnelly(Donna Mills)who did not take her final vows because she was in love with Mark Elliot.

On Search for Tomorrow,Travis' half sister Renata was an ex nun.

I recall Felicia dressed as a nun in some caper on Another World.

Brooke got involved with Rev Eliot Freeman,who was actually Josh Waleski,the driver of the car that ran down and killed her daughter Laura.

ATWT Rev Dansby-during the Milltown church story in 98

• Members

I read an article in an old TIME magazine from the 70's about a Catholic priest falling in love with a divorcée on The Secret Storm. From what I remember, the article concentrated mostly on the controversy and the resulting modest ratings bump.

Gary Tomlin seemed to have a nun fetish when he was EP of OLTL. Todd Manning dressed as a nun a few times, plus the Trading Places episode had Renée and Ben in nuns' habits and St. Anne's lonney bin, with its bewimpled staff, was featured quite frequently.

• Members

The Secret Storm character was Fr Mark Reddin who got involved with Laurie Hollister.

Also,in the last year of Texas,Rev Hunt Weston became involved with Judith Wheeler.

A question re Marie Horton.

I know she became a nun on the show but I have never seen any reference to how this was handled.Was the character written out when Marie went off to the convent?

Archived