DAYS: Friday, September 28

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm going to get beaten down for even saying this, but even though touch the sky was a big bust, I'm going into this college story with an open mind. there have been very few spoilers about it, and I really think the young actors (except for Jett) are strong enough that I can like them in a storyline, won't automatically condemn it just because it's the "teen" story.

Plus, they keep talking about Billie working at the college now, and I'd love for Julie Pinson to get a storyline out of this.

• Members

Great episode.

Chelsea and Steph were actually entertaining today, and the sorority girls could actually act, which is refreshing.

Stephen Nichols was great as he put his jacket over Benjy and cradled his body in his arms. Heartbreaking stuff.

And kudos to the direction/editing of the Santeen scenes, especially when they showed Colleen taking her vows and seeing Santo before running out.

I kind of figured Colleen would kill herself, and because most scenes were at the cliffs, it makes sense that she would throw herself off of them.

All in all, excellent episode and excellent performances. Who knew that Frank Parker could act this well? Being on the backburner so long, I would have never guessed.

• Members

So we are to assume that Colleen killed herself, just because her habit was laying on the ground by the cliff? Sorry, but I've watched DAYS too many years to believe it. People who have been autopsied and donated their organs are still alive and walking around Salem so why should I believe Colleen is dead?

Doubts about Colleen's "suicide" aside, I liked today's show. Even the sorority stuff wasn't too bad and superficial Stephanie actually had some decent insight into Chelsea today! I'm going to try to keep an open mind with this Salem U storyline; after all, it can't possibly be worse than Touch the Sky.

I was practically on the edge of my seat with the Santo/Colleen story today, because I had managed to avoid most of the spoilers so didn't know how it would play out. I actually thought Stefano was lying and his mother really was dead, so I was surprised when Santo admitted to it. And I suppose Colleen could have actually killed herself in a moment of despair--I think her decision to become a nun was her family's decision and not the life she wanted for herself--but it doesn't ring true. What if she just ran away, discovered she was pregnant, had the baby and then died--and the baby grew up to be John Black? Makes more sense to me than a devout Catholic girl committing suicide.

The scene where Steve covered Benjy with his coat and laid down beside him was simply heartbreaking. But now I'm afraid of what he will do next!

• Members

Whatever happens with the sorority, Rachel Melvin had me ROLLING today. And Stephen Nichols and Ali Sweeney had me in tears. Can't ask for anything more.

Eta: What a great day for Chelsea. I mean, not Emmy-reel material, but her evolution from comedic and snarky to vulnerable to talking about the deaths of her adoptive parents and her envy of Stephanie never being rejected, ending with Chelsea deciding not to tell her about Jeremy? Wow... very three-dimensional. Well done.

• Members

Well the only problem I have with that is it'll make Belle and Shawn close to incetuous. Not total incest, but close to it like Steph and Max. The show has enough of that.

Good first day of the soroity scenes. I know there is much more than to what meets the eye here and I interested somewhat.

Great directing today!

• Members

That's why the younger characters' storylines haven't been working....they've had no depth or substance. Hopefully, that will be changing because with the exception of Jett I've grown to like this group (I'm hit or miss with Stephanie, but she's been improving) and would like to see them in a story where they can show some dimension.

• Members

I think Chelsea perked up when the girls said they work with the homeless and children who need help with school. I can see Chelsea into that and maybe Stephanie, too.

Stephen was superb today. I was afraid he would display theatrics, but he was believable as a totally shocked, bereaved man. Poor Benji. I'm sad for his wife and son and hope they don't just disappear on the show now.

Frank Parker is such a good actor. It has been a waste to keep him hid out for all these years. I'd like to see more of Stefano and Grandpa Shawn.

Colleen did not jump off that cliff at least as the water was too shallow and too far from the cliff for a body to not be seen easily (or even killed as it wasn't that high).

I can see her dumping her nun trappings and running to the ocean to wash off her anointment's and try to cleanse her soul, too, but in the end, she would most likely find a way to a woman's shelter and work incognito.

• Administrator

Noel Maxam rocks!! The Colleen/Santo scenes were done really well. I loved the slow motion, the natural wipe and close ups.

I was disappointed with the way Colleen "died." They think she's dead just because of the habit on the ground??? WTF that's it?

I didn't think I would enjoy the sorority scenes, but I actually did. Those girls could actually act and some of them were interesting also....like the smart asian chick....and I kinda liked Morgan too. Oh and some of the were pretty good looking too which is always a plus.

• Members

On sorostitutes: Alpha Chi Theta? Like OMG! Alpha Chi Theta. Get it? ACT! Ugh. This show never misses a chance to get in a stereotype does it? Why am I not surprised the Asian chick was the smart one? Still, I liked Jamie from her RW season so yay for DOOL casting a RW person I actually liked. Chelsey Brady is Chelsey with a Y? I didn't know this. I always thought it was ChelseA. While my GDI heart enjoys any and all skewering of Greek life, especially from the snarky mouth of ChelseY Brady nee Benson, I hope there is more to this story than what we saw today of ChelseY's fear or rejection and Stephanie's desire for approval. Because I wish they would give these college kids some more depth. I really think they're all up to it. Well save Jett anyway. *I will try to give this story a chance* *I will try to give this story a chance*

Oh God Steve! You're breaking my heart cuddling with dead Benjy. Benjy's death isn't your fault, Steve! It's Bo and Roman's for their stupid plot to arrest EJ and keep him from willingly donating his liver so that Andre would wind up cutting it out of Benjy and setting this horrible mess in motion. I know they'll never admit it but it was their fault. Not at all yours, Steve.

The final day of Santeen was pretty damn good I thought despite Pete's graybeard being distracting and how much I loathe YOMB for his interference. Gosh Santo was really a dumbass for the way he promised he would never lie to her and especially not lie to make her feel better when he was doing that the whole time and yet... and yet... I still kind of see where he's coming from with his talk about wanting a chance for them to be together and make their own choices outside of the plans made for them by their fathers. I heart the scriptwriter for putting the word "eejit" in Colleen's mouth. Even if it wasn't "right-lookin' eejit" I am still quite happy nonetheless. Thanks, Meg Kelly! And OK maybe it's the fangurl in me but I totally cried when Colleen was taking her vows. I can't remember the last time DOOL made me cry quite honestly. Kudos to all the actors, writers, directors and composers who made that scene happen. I know a lot of people hate Santeen and are probably celebrating it being over, but I can't stress enough how much I'll miss getting the chance to seeing the DOOL supercouples just hanging out together like this. Because they're sort of like the DOOL Super Friends for me. LOL.

Hope they can carry the momentum into next week.

I would love this. Regardless of whatever implications it does or doesn't have for Shelle.

But I personally think it was a Colleen suicide and the habit being off of her was just symbolic of her being free. We'll see I guess.

• Members

I'm still a bit stunned feeling and just starting to be able to step back and understand why. The acting, writing, direction, special effects, stark contrasts and gut wrenching emotion were beyond powerful, and everything came together and and worked brilliantly.

The scenes with Colleen had a surreal, almost Godfatherish feel. From the background music to the slow motion and attention to detail with her in her wedding gown, being dressed in her habit, going to the alter, and then seeing Santo and Stefano and being overcome with despair and angst... Ali played the scenes to perfection and the look on her face, and in her eyes, changing from serenity to pure panic was captivating. The grave side scenes with Abe, Steve and Benjy - especially contrasted against the Colleen scenes - were shocking, raw, heartwrenching, and hit at such an intense and almost primal level that they took my breath away. Steve Nichols, once again, displayed the depth and range of his talent. The realism was so poignant it was almost physically painful to watch and left me feeling like a washcloth wrung dry.

By the end of the episode I felt like I'd been sucker punched. Days hasn't left me with that feeling in over 20 years. Most of the week reminded a lot of the early/mid 80s Days, with the edge of the seat intensity, the portrayal of the DiMeras, the shocking plot twists and the exceptional and emotional writing and acting. I'm not sure how long it's been since I've enjoyed a full week of Days - I mean really enjoyed and not just eh'd through parts or been bored to the brink of insanity by one or four episodes. This was a week where, for me, Days was consistently good - all week; every episode. Something seems to be starting to really go right and I just hope it continues.

With the characters, Sheffer seems to have brought the DiMeras back closer to their original selves and given them the depth, humanity and realism that's been missing. (For me the final touch will be Stefano resuming his chess games: that strategic metaphorical goodie with the delightfully bizarre edge.) He's also tapping into the emotional layers of the protagonists (Bradys, etc) and making it easier to really care about them. Even though I adore the DiMeras, I also love the vets, but it's been hard to empathize with them for so long that my investment in the characters has been diminished to the level of apathy. SN and MBE were given such terrible storylines when they came back that I totally understand why viewers that didn't know them before were less than impressed - and why many of us who did were left shaking our heads in bewilderment. Sheffer seems to have finally figured their characters out - especially Steve - and SN is kicking butt and taking names: I love it! Abe, Kayla, Bo and Hope are also acting more like themselves: "The Hollow Men" probably captures how I've felt about these characters, but their personalities are starting to be poured back into their empty shells and things are looking so much better. The return of the DiMeras is potentially one of the smartest moves Days has made in a long time, and by redefining them, it should be easier to redevelop the core Days characters and the show itself - (with potentially and should being the key words). Fact is the DiMeras bring out the best in the characters (and actors) and are a very strong asset to Days: they need to stay.

Oops for talking about more than Fridays episode, but this week seriously impressed the hell out of me, and it feels so good to actually be positive about the show. I'm not sure who's responsible for the changes - if it's more the group of new people combined with Sheffer or them on their own - but it really feels like there might just be a light at the end of the tunnel afterall.

Archived