Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I just watched the Barty-Tomljanovic match and found it hilarious how our Swedish commentators were so enamoured with Barty's tactic of slicing, then running around and dominating play with her forehand. Gee, it just felt like I have seen that before.....

Please register in order to view this content

Yes, now I remember!  Steffi Graf did it to perfection 30 years ago!  

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

I have nothing against Barty personally but, some players, when you watch them play, it feels very much like "work", rather than play. Hard work.

There's no enjoyment in it. To a certain extent, that has penetrated the Men's game, where we're often told to appreciate the 'work ethic' of certain players, while we're all supposed to forget that tennis is a game, and is supposed to be entertaining.

This is why tennis as a sport is now so utterly marginalized. This is supposed to be entertaining. They're called "players" for a reason. They're not called "workers"

• Members

I don't see Ashleigh Barty's game as boring. Quite the opposite actually. She has a good first serve, a fine second serve, and she has a more varied style of play than a lot of other players who rely more on power. In that respect she reminds me a little of Martina Hingis. She didn't rely on power either.

Barty is not the most charismatic person, I can agree with that, but frankly, neither is Roger Federer....