Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Well she did say she was going to shove that ball down her [!@#$%^&*] throat.  It kind of did happen.  It’s out there. 

Then there kind of was the drunk doubles match with Venus where she stumbled around a lot and couldn’t stand up.  Explained away by some unknown disease.  She was drunk from the night before because she played within a few days later.  Serena has always been a mess. 

Edited by Fevuh

• Members

I'm not, never been, nor will I ever be one of those folks who will dismiss or excuse what happened at the U.S. Open.  I am also not someone who will claim that a person is incapable of ever evolving.

But to suggest that Serena has "gotten away" with saying or doing anything untoward would simply be untrue.  Who else got a $90,000 fine in the history of tennis?  Not even McEnroe who has a history of hurling epithets at chair umpires, the crowd and once physically turned over a T.V. camera.

What I am saying is that the amount of ink spilled over this conference room scheduling debacle was unnecessary, especially when the stories essentially contradicted each other.  Even Thiem himself said he was unsure.

Did you see the video of Federer launching that ball and the near miss to that spectator? Journalists who couldn't stop carping over the conference room debacle are already making jokes about some guy who nearly averted a serious injury.

All I'm asking is, why are some players called out, while others never are? 

It's not just Serena, by the way.  Heather Watson got the largest fine at Wimbledon for taking a small swipe at some blades of grass with her racquet, in frustration.  Her fine was significantly larger than Karolina Pliskova who destroyed a chair umpire's chair with the umpire still in it!

Not to mention the players who have physically shoved an umpire on court.

Verbal abuse should be punished but why do players who put their hands on officials or physically destroy property not similarly punished?  Surely I'm not the only one who notices the disparity?

I'm not even going to go down the rabbit hole of the Nolé rain delay debacle because honestly, the story changes every five minutes at this point. Nobody seems to be able to get their stories straight.