Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I agree - women's was so boring for years.  What's that statistic...for 30 or 40 years the number 1 womens player was either Chrissie, Martina N., Tracy Austin briefly, Steffi, or Monica (and Martina Hingis)...and they always won most of the slams.  And the finals and semis were between those particular women that played during their respective time periods.  They used to say that the field was very shallow of who could win against any of these people.  I remember Conchita Martinez winning a weird Wimbledon final (crazy)...Sanchez-Vicario I think the French that year.  But really during all of those years, the women I listed won pretty much everything.  Very predictable. 

The men over all of those years changed hands...#1's would lose to someone out of the top 20 or 30...very unpredictable and people said it made the men's game more interesting.  Now it's the women who are more interesting... 

And - what a stat.  No women's teens this far since Capriati nearly 30 years ago.  That's what they said...is that true?  And Michael Chang sure looks old.  Now I feel old. 

Edited by Fevuh

• Members

I would say that Madison Keys is just like Davenport but Lindsey did eventually win 3 slams.  I just don't think Madison ever will win even one.  Too many of these younger players are coming along that are better and they'll take her out in the Quarters or semi's every time.  And there are still better players her age or even older who will take her out.  Lindsey at least eventually found the grit here and there, although her ticks (kicking the tennis ball around and you knew that she was done then)...she eventually found it.  Madison never will. 

• Members

I don't care about the women's final - who knows...but the men's - if Thiem makes it through, Nadal will make meat out of him.  Straight sets but will figure out how to make it last 3.5 or 4 hours.  Only Rafa can beat someone 6-1, 6-1, 6-1 and have it take 2 and a half hours.  For whatever reason I think the women's final will be a snoozer also. 

And Joker right now - uh, you can't stop playing because it's windy. 

What is going on with the weather over there?  Usually people are in danger of heat exhaustion and people in the crowd are wearing puffy full coats and stocking hats???

Edited by Fevuh