• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Congratulations to Coco Gauff!  

Please register in order to view this content

Sabalenka is a very one-note player though. She made no attempt to change anything even though her play obviously failed her today, especially her forehand. She just kept hitting as hard as she could....

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

If she can draw up to this level when she needs to - maybe Swiatek would still bother me. But I don’t think her best would be able to stand up to the Coco we just saw.  I think she could be as dominant on hard court as possibly even Nadal was/is on clay.  If she’s able to keep healthy, her serve can improve.  Everyone can have a down day - but this absolutely is Sabalenka’s best.  When they showed the one box and I saw Monica - I said ahhhhhhhh.  Monica thinks Coco is ready and she wants to see it.  She’s not a regular at these.  It was loud, it was sensational.  And she did it right - she “gets” it.  In several interviews she’s said how lucky to have a great life and she knows what a gift it is.  Wonderful to see, such a void getting filled - the women’s game is on fire.  

Edited by Fevuh

• Members

Just earlier today, I was thinking about that 2001 women’s final and remembering what a huge deal that was culturally, not to mention 22 million viewers at home in addition to the star studded spectators in attendance. I don’t think American tennis will see those type of viewership again. 

• Members

TBH, I didn’t watch all of the match and I didn’t need to, it was pretty much telegraphed what the results were going to be early on in the match. That flopping dead fish that was part of Medvedev’s first U.S. Open victory celebration? Well, that was pretty much how he played during the men’s final. The match just wasn’t very good tennis for me, I don’t know how others felt about it.

Congratulations to Djokovic. You all know, that I am far from a fan, but this is quite an achievement for him.
It’s no knock on him but the men’s game holds no lustre for me at this time. It’s just a lot of the same. We get a peek at a few new stars with the potential to energize the game and they all land the same way. There is little appeal to me. I may not care for all aspects of the women’s game but at least I get the sense that there are more than one or two possibilities for finalists and champions. There is a diversity of winners in the women’s game that is missing from men’s tennis. The men’s game feels very much stalled and I find myself mostly disinterested right now.

• Members

I guess people tuned in to see if he would tie Margaret Court record

US Open 

Men's final

1.3 HH rating

2.3 million viewers

The US Open Women's final

No HH numbers yet but viewership  beat the men's final by over a million viewers

The U.S. Open final between Coco Gauff and Aryna Sabalenka drew monster viewership. 3.422 million viewers.

Edited by Soapsuds