Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

What I said about Ostapenko's win - that she would flounder next round....and Keys after beating Pegula - she'll go down next round.  It's what she does.  I really hope she doesn't read messageboards anywhere though because I'm sure everyone says it.  But, she chokes.  She's never going to win a major.  I never thought it possible but I think she may care less than Lindsay did at times.  Always so annoying to watch them kick the ball around....and I've seen them do it when they are totally UP and no reason on Earth that they would lose a match - and the ball kicking and bewildered looks start.  Then you know - yep, she's done. She's up 6-0, 5-0 but for whatever reason, she's lost this match. And you just laugh.  

• Members

Davenport at least won some major tournaments and it’s not really a lack of effort or mental incompetence for Lindsay, she just saw the future with the arrival of the Williams sisters and knew it would be rough going for her, many times Lindsay would run out of gas. Madison Keys has a clear block that she can’t get over. She looks like a world beater and then can’t keep the ball inside the court, all in the same tournament, sometimes in the same match! I’m having a hard time remembering when I saw any player in the top twenty compete this way, without being injured, that is. Even when Davenport tried to coach Madison, she pretty much knew she couldn’t get through to her and gave up.

• Administrator

I would've liked to watch the Keyes/Sabalenka match but I forgot about it because of the NFL.  Same situation on Sunday with the Men's final - going up against the first week of the NFL.  If ESPN wants higher ratings, I don't understand why they don't push the USTA to move the tournament a week back so they don't compete against week 1 of the NFL. 

• Members

The US Open had, for as long as I can remember, overlapped with NFL preseason games and used to hold their own, even under pressure from hardcore NFL fans. The difference now is that tennis is not nearly as popular now as it was back then.

Given the busy fall schedule, with the WTA trying to pivot back to Asia, Davis Cup, BJK Cup, and the year end championships, I am not sure how comfortably the ITF, which is the body that really determines the schedule, could fit a later scheduled US Open tournament.

• Administrator

Move the tournament up, not back. If they did that, the last week of the US Open would not compete against any NFL pre-season or regular season games.   Yeah, the Men's final used to air at 4:30pm EST after the 1pm NFL games on CBS.  I'm must saying you would probably get more viewers if you didn't compete with the NFL. 

• Members

With Cincinnati, DC, Winston-Salem, I just don’t see that happening. I might be mistaken but wasn’t the tournament moved back because players complained about not enough rest? The problems with diminishing ratings are about more than competing with NFL imo, it’s a confluence of factors. I don’t watch NFL at all and I barely watched the US Open this year.

Australia moved its tournament but it was because players were practically hallucinating from the heat. Scheduling conflicts with other sports as a cause to move an entire tournament (again) would be a tough sell imo.