Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

With Djokovic not getting any younger, and Alacaraz still so young and with so much potential growth I wonder if Novak will manage to get that elusive 24th Major and tie with Margaret Court, or if he will end up, like Serena, on 23.

This loss today also mean that he again misses out on the chance to complete a real, calendar year Grand Slam.

• Members

Because the match was interminable, I was only able to watch in parts but from what I saw, it seemed as though Carlos did to Novak what Novak usually does to other opponents. Carlos really played a composed match overall, again, from what I could see.

On a separate note, we’re there any interesting Wimbledon fashions, at all? I didn’t see any but I didn’t see most matches. The current era might be a lost era in terms of fashion, the way the late 1980s was. Speaking of a bygone era, that hopefully will prove temporary, surface diversity…it seems like surfaces are vastly more alike than they are different at present.

‘Congratulations to Carlos ‘Carlitos’ Alcaraz. Hopefully some of these other young ATP players (and a few maybe not so young) will take note and get serious about staking their claim to big titles.

• Administrator

Even if they're not #1 or #2, if one of them falls to #3 or #4 for example, the tournament organizers shouldn't put them in the same side of the draw.  The organizers need to setup the best possible finals match.   Now, I don't know the rules. Do the organizers need to follow the ATP rankings for seeding, or can they make judgment calls when it comes to seeding?

• Members

I think Novak is still in the position to win more major titles, barring a serious injury that makes him take a step back like Rafa, Roger, and Serena. (Serena also took time off to have a kid and went through a challenging pregnancy during probably her last prime playing years and still made some finals upon her return.) Novak’s still relatively healthy, even with the stress of going deep into tournaments on his aging body, and I’m not sure there are players other than Carlos and maybe Medvedev who are knocking on the door to stringing seven best-of-five matches together imminently. We shall see CA inspires his peers to step up or even motivates older folks like Zverev and Tsitsipas, who both seem to have regressed a lot. I hope Eubanks can build on what he’s accomplished recently.

Also, we will see if Carlos’s next few years are similar to Roger’s 2003-07, after Sampras retired and Agassi was winding down, when there was a dearth of all-time greats in the sport aside from Rafa on clay (CA’s play is very physical, so I wonder how much his body will hold up), but I think Novak might remain in the mix for at least another year, putting him in contention for 4-5+ more titles. No one knows what the future holds, of course…but that’s my thinking.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Wow!!

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2023/07/wimbledon-ratings-alcaraz-djokovic-viewership-espn-vondrousova-jabeur/

A much-anticipated men’s final that lived up to the hype, Carlos Alcaraz’ defeat of Novak Djokovic delivered one of the largest Wimbledon audiences in the past decade.

Sunday’s Carlos Alcaraz-Novak Djokovic Wimbledon men’s final averaged a 1.7 rating and 3.20 million viewers on ESPN, trailing only Djokovic-Roger Federer in 2019 (3.83M) as the most-watched Wimbledon singles final in more than a decade — since Federer-Andy Murray in 2012 (3.93M).

• Members

The irony the irony. I can't recall if it was Courier, Haber or Annacone that just recently said he was cleared of any charges. I just rolled my eyes when they said it. 

He has a pattern of abusing his girlfriends.