Days: SOD Spoilers

• Members

Exactly! The insistence on telling me what's right, and the magazine's jumping on the bandwagon is just awful.

Yes, I agree - it always seems to degenerate into a war, and frankly, while I enjoy EJami alot and they are the main reason I watch, I don't want to see the show canceled. I simply think the show's in deep trouble, and their insistence on sticking to the safe and boring is going to hurt them in the end. It's a shame because I've watched since the early days of Bope and I hate to see it in such a state.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fine. If you all want Sami to be destroyed and hook up with her rapist, that's fine by me. But after Sami being raped by Alan and it was one of things that sent her life spiraling out of control, I know the Sami I know and love would never ever be with a man who raped her and did it only to knock her up with a child to save his father.

Why not bring back Alan? Then we can have a triangle with Sami and both her rapists.

ETA: And it cracks me up that people who want Sami with a man who raped her are offended by Sami having sex all the time with her husband.

• Members

This is veering way off topic--I'm sorry. I truly despise these fanbase wars. But here's the thing dawn9476, I've been more than willing to give the Lumi storyline a chance. I was a Lumifan for years, hoping that they would get together. I saw the chemistry between Bryan and Ali.

But when they did get together, I noticed something. There was no story. There was no drama. I got bored really fast. Faster than I had expected. I don't watch a soap just to see a couple snog 24/7. I don't care if it's Lumi, Jarlena, Payla, Bope whatever -- it's boring. I watch for a good story.

Lumi as a proper couple didn't have much of a story until December 29th. That episode was quite a gift to Lumifans. Overnight, it made Sami into a rootable heroine, EJ into a hated villain, and Lucas into an understanding saint. But at the same time, I think it also accomplished something the writers weren't expecting because . . .

That episode also demonstrated how evenly matched James Scott and Alison Sweeney were actingwise. It gave me a whole different level of respect for Alison as an actress. And before then, I truly didn't appreciate what a gutsy actor James Scott was. They both had me glued to my television. That is what grabbed me. When I see good acting, it excites me. I don't care what kind of scene it is. People don't still harp on that episode today because it was poorly executed. People don't fly those RINR banners because it was forgettable. They talk about it because it seemed real to them. That wouldn't have happened with lesser actors. That wouldn't have happened if there had been no intensity between James and Ali. The people who thought up that scene must be still be kicking themselves because rather than killing EJami in one fell swoop, it muddied the waters. James is a smart guy actingwise. There's one point in the eppy where Sami says, "I hope you burn in hell" and EJ responds "my place has already been set at that table." It wasn't what he said but how he said it that kept me from jumping ship. Watch it and judge for yourself. James Scott saved his bacon right there with that little interpretation.

EJ and Sami hold my interest. Why? Because there's an actual story there. Because James and Ali work well onscreen together. That's why. Say what you want about what EJ did or did not do to Sami, but one can't ignore the fact that in a short amount of time, a lot has transpired between these two characters which provides drama which keeps fans like me watching. Whether a person finds it sickening or enthralling, it usually gets a reaction.

Drama!

OK, I'm done. Sorry to the original poster of this thread. I bet you didn't expect your spoiler thread to go this way. :)

• Members

So glad we finally have your permission to like what we like. How generous of you.

And the Sami that *I* know and love isn't a weepy and emotional doormat to Lucas. So I guess we're at an impasse.

Because our interest in EJ and Sami getting together isn't about rape no matter how obsessed YOU are with it.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not offended by them. I simply find the scenes lackluster, boring and occasionally nauseating. There's a difference.

• Members

And this is the reason why soaps, especially Days, are in trouble. If one couple doesn't get together, it's bye bye. This started in the late 90's and has only gotten worse. Fanbase wars and fan boycotts as a result of something not going a fanbases way are killing soaps.

What is disturbing is that both sides are not willing to acknowledge each other's excellent points. I am a fan of LUMI and that goes years back but I do like Sami and EJ together. I can see the chemistry and even admit they are more interesting together then Sami and Lucas. I hate the fact that the writers refuse to go into all the things Sami and Lucas have done to each other and admit that hurt LUMI as becoming a major couple on the show in my eyes. They have mentioned it somewhat but not enough IMO. Some LUMI fans gloss over all the pain Lucas and Sami caused each other, something EJAMI fans mention alot. That can't be forgotten.

In regards to EJ, I am glad they are redeeming him because it was rape. He didn't put a gun to her head but he did have a gun and he took advantage of the situation to sleep with her. She consented to save Lucas but he left her no choice. He knew she would say yes. Whether you agree or not, it was sleazy and disgusting. To make it even worse, EJ tortured Sami for months with her secret, something that goes hand in hand with the pain Lucas and Sami caused each other over the years. That is something EJAMI fans gloss over. Let's also remember that EJ shot John, Sami's stepfather, and also was behind the gloved hand crimes. The gloved hand tortured Sami for weeks, which goes back to my point that both Lucas and EJ have caused Sami pain as she has also caused them both pain. Again, I think both sides need to consider all points.

I am all for what is best for THE SHOW. Not for characters. THE SHOW. I think fans have forgotten soaps are ENSEMBLES. Unfortunately, no amount of convincing is going to change the mindsets of hundreds of fanbases who either watch for a couple or certain characters. That is killing soaps and Days is affected by it more then anyone else. Whatever gives the show the best drama and story possible, I say go for it. This could be what does it or it may not. We don't know yet as the story has not completely played out. Hogan seems very invested in this so we'll see. Passionate debates like this are fine but both sides need to acknowledge all points involved for all those involved in this story. Both sides have valid points. It's all a matter of using all those points to help defend one's position while also acknowledging the counter points brought up by the other side. It's obvious both sides are passionate, much like Broe vs Phloe only moreso because of what happened to Sami. Let's just be sure to respect one another and to see both sides of the issue at hand.

• Members
Thank you, you said it. This is exactly how I feel.

In fact I'm starting to notice I'm sharing your opinions about DAYS quite often. It's nice because I was beginning to think I was the only one...

Btw 'Skin' 1.8? The last ratings are 2.1 (+1).

• Members

I think you misunderstood maconrich. I was just thinking when I read Phoenix post that someone's totally gonna misunderstand that part and comment on it.

There's a difference between involved and involved. For example since this thread is about Sami and her two men... personally I can see the possibilities in both Lumi and Ejami. I'm not closing the door to one pairing, so there's the difference for me. I prefer Lumi but I can see the chemistry with Ejami so I'm not saying this show sucks just because Ejami might not end up together at the moment. Seriously, what lasts forever on a soap? That part of the story hasn't even begun yet so who am I to judge?! If the story plays out badly then I can say "wow, that sucked". But I'm still gonna watch and see what's next. Maybe that's just me being a fan of the show. :)

• Members

Exactly and thank you for putting it so eloquently. :)

It's to be invested but I think that fans on both sides have to recognize the points being made on both sides and not just what suits the particular agenda of that fanbase. I'm not saying anyone here is doing that but I have seen people involved in fanbases do it. Just because something isn't working out for one fanbase right now does not mean you give up. Anything can happen.

It's also important to remember, especially on a show like Days, that no one couple or characters is the show. I see all the time on other boards how fanbases claim a certain character or couple not being on affects ratings and so on. I disagree with that. Many Days fans have been advocating for balance and that is key to ratings along with compelling stories. I think compelling stories is the biggest key because, let's face it, all the soaps have balance issues. GH has horrible balance yet that show is having a decent year ratings-wise compared to everyone else. I don't care for GH right now but I will admit they have some compelling stuff coming up that is very soapy so that helps. Days needs to do that and not let fanbases determine the drama. The old saying is "let the writer write" and Days fans have been telling Corday to let Hogan write. I just wish the fanbases (not all, just the really rabid ones) would give the writer a chance to write so they can make judgements on things as a whole but, sadly, in today's climate that doesn't happen. Fans just don't have the patience anymore like they did a decade ago.

That is all I am trying to say. Both sides are passionate but both sides just have to be willing to see all the points being brought up on both sides. That's all.

• Members

I have been watching Days of Our Lives since I left the hospital nursery, which was 40 years ago. I have never been to an EJami board and I have never participated in any kind of fan based petition, letter writing campaign, or boycott for any character or couple on this show nor any other, nor would I. I think I can safely call myself a fan of the entire show, and not someone who watches just for a certain couple. When I say that Lumi and the blanket babies might be my final straw as a Days viewer, I am not saying that just as a disgruntled EJami fan. IMO, Days bread and butter is supercouples and they haven't developed a new one since Jack and Jennifer. The show is running on the strength of its over 40 couples, and there is no growth to be found there. If Days doesn't develop at least one supercouple in the next year, then they will only have fumes to run on until 2009.

Whether James Scott was cast as a leading man for Alison Sweeney or not, they clicked like nobody has done on this show since the early 90s, and if the headwriter doesn't have the ability to work with that chemistry to give old viewers something new to tune in for and new viewers a reason to check Days out, then he is in the wrong business and writing for the wrong soap. Is it possible that any of the other chairs on the deck can be rearranged to create a supercouple? Doubtful. JKJ has potential but Hogan seems to determined to waste Phillip on Belle. Can some new actor be quickly added for Scott or Sweeney to make part of a different supercouple? Again doubtful. Days has gone 15 years without having lightening strike, so it is unlikely to do so again in the next 12 months, particularly when new characters have to be established before many members of the audience will even begin to become interested in their stories. Since EJ only entered the Salem last year, pairing him with a recent arrival would just play as Newbie Central. While Sami is well established, most good actors in her age range aren't interested in doing daytime dramas, so she is unlikely to get a male counterpart that requires her to stretch as much as Scott did. And in this hypothetical "Sami and Mr. Y" or "EJ and Ms. X" scenario, those new imaginary couples are unlikely to have the history that Sami Brady and Elvis DiMera do simply by virtue of their parentage.

I haven't given up on EJ and Sami being paired in some significant storyline yet, and I haven't given up on Days. But if the show throws away their best onscreen sparring partners in 15 years (without anything remotely comparable on the horizon), because other people are participating in vitriolic fanbase campaigns? Then IMO the writing will be on the wall, and it will be difficult for me to stay invested.

Archived