Primetime Soaps

• Members

Oh I liked Titans. I felt it had so much potential but probably being on NBC was the ultimate thing that hurt it. How long did it last? Felt like only a few episodes. Not enough to make an impact

Anyone watch Pacific Palisades? Another I felt had potential and Im surprised Fox didnt give it the chance it gave Melrose

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My mom and I watched Pacific Palisades weekly. When it and later Pasadena got unceremoniously yanked, I think we kinda gave up and resigned ourselves to the fact that those good old days of primetime sudsers were over. My mom was a BIG fan of Savannah too. The shows got younger focusing on twentysomethings during that '90s wave, and then of course they went even younger but that never seemed to bother my mom too much (she even watched The O.C.), she was just always up for a good soapy story and these days you're lucky if you can even get that, regardless of character age.

• Members

I ask this because I never watched the show, but isn't Damages a procedural?

Either way, I think The Vampire Diaries is a great "soap" right now. There's backstabbing, rivalries, romance, plot twists and all the episodes usually end with a cliffhanger. It's heaven really, for me anyway.

Edited by Amello

• Members

Well, not in my world. It has elements of a procedural, but a lot of soapy twists, turns, long-term (seasonal) stories, uses non-linear narrative devices...

We've had flashbacks, flashforwards and this season we have flash-sideways. :) It has a narrative, the haters say it doesn't.

• Members

The Vampire Diaries is fantabulous. Favorite new show since Friday Night Lights, and definitely my fave on network TV. And its ratings are awesome, too (for The CW).

As far as what are soaps and what aren't soaps, I think the media (and maybe fans?) uses one of two definitions to describe something soapy: 1 is all about the melodrama, "OMG she slept with her husband's uncle's mother's son's nephew's brother!!" stuff, and 2 is simply that it's serialized. I've seen 24 called a soap based simply on its serialized nature, yet there are two-hour movies (Sirk! Curtiz!) that are called soaps, and they're not serialized. It really begs the question...what is a soap? Is it one of those, both, or neither one?

See, to me, Little House on the Prairie is pure soap. Like, 99 and 44/100 percent. It wasn't really serialized (though there were always long-term plot points), but to deny it of a soapy label would be like spitting on the grave of Landon himself. He worked really, really hard to make sure the people of Walnut Grove had really horrible lives. And, really, that's what soaps are all about.