June 4-8, 2007

Toups

• Members
oh my god! what are u smoking?GL ratings are sinking because of the horrible writing of david k...He is not a good writer at all...As for the other writers that you mentioned,yes they made mistakes but they always had several other winning stories despite maybe one weak storyline...Soap opera ratings go down becasue of bad choices in wirting-----bottom line.yes GL just won in several categories at the daytime emmys....But when all is said and done,the ratings is what counts,and the numbers are horrible!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you look at the entertainment venues that are the most popular across all media, you'll see that quality does brings in the numbers. SURVIVOR and ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A FIDTH GRADER? huge hits on television. The radio is filled teen-bopper pop-rock and bling-fixated hip-hop. The cineplexes are packing them in for mindless action films and shallow "love stories."

Popularity and success in our current media culture is anything but a definitive indication of any inherent quality.

I'm no Kreizman cheerleader, but Ellen Wheeler clearly has a passion for GL and her efforts to keep the show going have paid off in spades and it's due to her efforts that GL is now almost certainly assured several more years of life.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Jun 16 2007, 08:24 PM)
You may be enjoying it, but the people who've been with Y&R for years and made it #1 are tuning out in droves. Latham came in and COMPLETELY changed the show. It was #1 as we know and to change everything that made it work was never going to be successful.

To top it off, Latham's writing is just awful and plot driven. She doesn't understand the characters with the vast majority of them acting like new people. It's no surprise people are bolting. As long as they keep Latham the show will continue it's downard spiral and Y&R will be in the same state as the other soaps.

What made the show so successful is that it was unique and such a step above the other soaps. Prior to Latham people could tune in and see Bill Bell's Y&R. Now? Dull reveals with no follow through, tons of dropped storylines, out of character behavior, Abbott's written out, tons of newbies, vets fired, Winters wasted and boring Brad and Pod!Victoria are shoved down our throats.

Her Y&R however fast it may be is very boring. She can't do the reveals and the drama and the catfights like classic Y&R. B&B is getting better and better now that they're filling the staff with former Y&R writers.

As a relatively new Y and R follower, I am stunned by all the changes Latham is making. I started following due to the Drucilla story. I am absolutely floored she'd let Victoria Rowell/Drucilla leave... as well as letting go Eileen Davidson at the just about the same time. I loved Amber on B & B, but she is more than out of place on Y and R. Latham is turning Y and R into a generic ABC soap...and I was tuning into Y and R to get away from that.

• Members

Exactly. There is NO core/center to AMC... they are doing the ABC Dance... getting rid of families and focusing on the kids... using the vets as props. They have also lost what was the historical AMC setting... the Main Line Philly socialite world, and the interactions and emotional struggles of FAMILIES in that world. Without the fully developed families, I can't see this show working. And with so few of the stronger vet characters left (they have a 'sampling' left from some families, but not whole families) I can't see this show coming back.

Archived