DAYS/PSSNS: A Question for JER-Haters

• Members

He would have to not only apologize, but admit that he has never had any respect for a) actors, B) past history, c) the adult-level intelligence of his audience, d) simple, basic professional scriptwriting guidelines, daytime or otherwise, or e) his waistline.

Then he would have to wander the earth with a rucksack and piano music like The Incredible Hulk.

Forever.

The man got lucky at Days and GL early on with good co-writers he got too much credit from (Curlee and Demorest) and then a good staff who he shamelessly rode into the ground (Days) and eventually, molded into his own staff of sub-Reilly hacks who wrote and sounded just like him for years and years. He has an ear for gimmicks and shock and nothing else, and never has. What success he had in the 90s was the result of the remains of a good writing staff who made his basic ideas work from outlines, and great actors who did their best, IMHO. Because otherwise, Marlena possessed by the Devil was laughable.

...And I must finally add, this is the man who doomed Days. Years ago. Not when he was on top, but when he kept it going, and after, when all they did was follow his trend.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

True. Its easy to find things to complain about when it comes to James E Reilly. But lets not forget that he was also the one who dared to try new things and write storylines that had never been seen before on Daytime. He was headwriter for DAYS during EIGHT whole years. Thats longer than any other headwriter. And he also created Passions and managed to keep it on NBC for over eight years too, despite low ratings. So obviously he can not be completely worthless.

• Members

The reason Reilly's left is, unlike the others, he was willing to sell out every inch of intellect and soul in his writing towards a market-oriented, unhealthy daytime system of the 90s. He had no problem making junk for the masses and wrote for the audience in the way the networks regard them - as brainless cattle. He hit the demos, he ticked the boxes, he did everything right for the bosses, so he survived. The only thing he forgot was knowing how to write.

• Members

Yes it does mean something. James E Reillys writing is not of very good quality, that is correct. But Network Executives doesnt care about quality at all. They unfortunately only care about the demographics. If it wasnt for James E Reilly, then DAYS would probably have been cancelled already back in 1998 when its contract expired. But Reilly made DAYS a success during 1993-1998, so NBC decided to renew it.

• Members

They renewed a sh!t show, that where my problem lies. And he made even more unwatchable, it was a farce, a parody, as you like it. Now come to think of it, they should have cancelled it. :)Days was once a brilliant soap, especially in Bill Bell days.

• Members

That is of course a matter of taste. Different styles appeal to different people. And obviously many people liked the JER style last decade since DAYS reached so high ratings during his writing back then. And also, DAYS was constantly number one in the demographics, which made it the most profitable show in Daytime. But nowadays people seem to be getting tired of it, which is understandable. The audience needs variation after all. So I hope DAYS can survive and maybe return to this "quality writing" that according to you occured before JER came to DAYS. But wishing cancellation on DAYS seems a little bit unnecessary. I still think DAYS have great potential.

• Members

I have never been a big supporter of Reilly's work, but I do understand the history of the times. DAYS was in trouble, his plots helped raise the ratings and almost took out Y&R as the number one show. People ate his stuff up. I enjoyed the first couple of years, but I was burned out after the characters got stupid to make the plots move. The majority of the audience did not. This is entertainment, he did his job, on the right show at the right time.

I couldn't stand the show nearing the end of Aremid, and hated lady in a cage. I dropped the show for a long time because it was so stupid to me. But the audience grew even larger the stupider and more over the top the show became. It wasn't for me.

GH has always been my main show, and I also remember while Reilly was making DAYS into a gothic, campy soap, Labine and Guza round one was making adult, intelligent and compelling drama that was about character. After some vapid GH stuff when Monty returned, I was so happy when Riche and Labine's stuff started airing. They hit their show and its fans at the right time, with the right stories. I can't hate Reilly for his success, even if he does not write the stuff I want to see.

• Members

Of course, Rudolpho, that it's a matter of taste. I hope you didn't get me wrong - I wasn't trying to change your taste or anything of the sort.

I wonder who those people were who liked him? Devil possesion, people buried alive and so on... Teens mostly probably and so on, they viewed it as a comedy, a pardoy as I said, not as something serious and worth while. I think people were just drawn to see the new stuff daytime has to offer, but soon they realised it was silly, unbelievable, badly executed and they all left.

I don't wish for Days to be cancelled. I think that it has potential, but the question here is - who will be the writer who will use that potential? If someone isn't found soon, the show will have its days numbered.

• Members

I dont care about JER 1st run.his 2nd run was pure crap,with nothing but gimmicks and triangle to try and hide the fact he cant write a decent,character driven storyline to save his life.he ruined the show,re-wrote history and ruined all of the characters.I am glad he's gone and only hope he will never get the chance to ruin any other show.

• Members

Actually I think you got me a little wrong there. I would say that my taste is more similar with your taste. I certainly wouldnt mind at all if DAYS had a more serious and dramatic approach instead of half campiness and stupid shocks and special effects that still annoys many people with its presence. The second run of JER on DAYS was indeed a big failure. The show does need to get away from that kind of storytelling.

Archived