PSNS: Spoofs Broadway Musical "Wicked" in 6 Episode Arc

• Members

joel0611b.jpg

The nicest lady on the planet -- that would be sitcom great Georgia Engel--Has signed on to play a witch on Passions. But a nice witch, of course. "I just don't have it in me to be mean" says Engel, who earned 5 Emmy nominations playing ditzy sweethearts (Two as Georgette on 'The Mary Tyler Moore Show,' and 3 as Pat on 'Everybody Loves Raymond') Engel joins the surreal sudser June 28 for a six episode takeoff of the hit Broadway musical "Wicked"

Engel will play Esmeralda, Tabitha's former schoolmate, "who was once quite spoiled and thoughtless. Now she is the most powerful of the good witches." Engel says.

d0291.jpg

In other casting news, Danny Woodburn (Ex Mickey Abbott, Seinfeld) Joins the show on June 21, in the recurring role of the recently unleased Demon Elf.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Toups, Wicked is great. Both the book and the musical(which is less dark than the book) are fantastic tales of Glenda the Good Witch and Elphaba the Wicked Witch of the West before the Wizard of Oz happens. They were once friends and then fall apart. The tale revolves around that and a good chunck of other familiar characters from the Wizard of Oz.

• Members

Here's a quick plot synopsis of Wicked via Wikipedia

The story is written as a prelude to L. Frank Baum's classic book The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. It is more heavily influenced by the book than the iconic 1939 movie, The Wizard of Oz, which differs from the book in a number of ways, although there are many slightly subliminal references to the movie. Set in the days prior to Dorothy's arrival from Kansas, Wicked explores the idea that the infamous antagonist we call the Wicked Witch of the West was a misconstrued, victimized person. Her alleged wickedness was merely retaliation against a charlatan wizard's corrupt government.

At Shiz University, the intelligent green-skinned teenager, Elphaba Thropp, meets the beautiful and ambitious Galinda Upland (who changes her name to Glinda during the course of the musical and later becomes Glinda the Good) when the two become roommates. Their lives intertwine, and throughout the show their friendship struggles to endure extreme personality differences, opposing viewpoints, rivalry over the same love-interest, and of course Elphaba's eventual tragic fall from grace.

• Members

This sounds good. The show, with the exception of the back and forth ET stuff, has been great the past two months. I love the show getting back to magic and the supernatural. I love Engel. She was great on ELR in her recurring role. I love that they are giving Tabitha more to do.

I can't wait to see this.

• Members

Oh, I disagree! I think they are learning! All of this is what the real fans have missed: musical spoofs, supernatural beings, and so forth. In other words, CLASSIC PASSIONS! And it's all happening on a more regular basis now! Passions IS on a roll!!!!!!

• Members

It is not classic Passions. Passions spoofed a musical like once...with Chicago, and it was on the verge of the show going downhill in 2003ish. I wouldn't consider that classic since it was not from PSNS' heyday which was 1999-2003.

• Members

Alright then, the supernatural hijinks IS classic Passions and they're finally showcasing it again on a more frequent basis. They had ignored the supernatural part of this show for so long that I thought they'd NEVER show any of it again. They've finally listened to us fans of the supernatural. ROCK ON!

Archived