GL: Contract renewal talks

• Members

I read on another board that there was speculation the show had been renewed. I've heard sever people on this board and others say it was up for renewal this month while others said it wasn't until July. So does anyone know what is going on with GL? Has it been renewed? What are the terms to that contract? Also, considering the shows milestone 70th b-day, has anyone heard of CBS doing another prime time special like they did back in 92' or a special tribute at the Emmy's? So many questions!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think GL will definitely stay... I mean, sure, the demos are bad... but let's face it, they have been bad for years now for GL and they still got renewed...

BUT nowdays, GL is beating DAYS in total viewers and sometimes households and while DAYS hit 1.9, GL has NEVER done that and on top of it all, GL doesn't even air in the entire US, unlike DAYS... so that has to mean something...

• Members

CBS would be stupid to cancel Guiding Light. Why in the hell would they want to cancel a show that is beating both NBC"s soaps. All GL needs is a new Headwriter and EP to bring life back into this show and save it really.

They need to hire back Stephen Demorest and the rest of the crew that wrote duting 1990 to 1995 Guiding Light's last Golden era.

Robert

• Members

I think I heard that it was renewed for a year along with ATWT, which is to be expected considering the state of daytime.

As for a special like the one in 1992. Quite frankly, the 1992 special didn't get such good ratings as it is, I read (The special sucked anyway. They couldn't even get Michael Zaslow to participate). So I highly doubt that CBS would allot time for a special now, regardless of the anniversary. What I would like is for GL to commission Julie Poll to update her old Guiding Light book with synopses from 1997 to today. Also, why not get in on the DVD craze and make DVD sets with the best episodes of Reva Shayne and Roger Thorpe and include updated documentaries like the ones introduced in 1994. Hell, the Roger video didn't even go into much detail after Roger's reappearance as Adam Malick. Why not update it and give a portion of the proceeds to Zaz Angels?

• Members

I wish they'd put an end to those "That's my Light. What's Your's?" bits they do half-way through the show. First of all, each castmember has already been shown at least twice. Secondly, some of their 'Lights' are so ridiculous. "My Light is cookies!" "My Light is feeding my cat!" "My Light is farting in public!" Enough! :)

• Members

Oh, I so agree! I feel like I'm watching the "Trinity Broadcasting Network" (TBN) everytime they show that bullsh!t. I half expect the cotton candy haired lady to pop in and exclaim, "My light is JESSSSUSSS!"

Jan%20Crouch%20Picture%20SMALL.jpg

• Members

GL is airing on borrowed time and if they are renewed, it will be by the skin of their teeth. The word has been that it's taken more budget cutting which has cost them four seasoned writers to get a renewal. It's been one gimmick after another that has become tedious watching shallow writing. At one time GL used to have one of the best cast of actors but not anymore. The few actors left with talent don't have the heart anymore. It seeems to be a constant fight to salvage their characters that I think they are as worn out as the fans are trying to make sense of the plots. The ratings have steadily declined and are dropping more frequently to dangerous lows. I don't think a new regime would have the time to pull this grand dame out of the cellar.

• Members

I saw the 92' prime time special on WOST (Get on that wonderful site because it might be closing soon) and I agree it wasn't all that great. nonetheless, i think that some pre-Emmy show for GL would be a nice touch even if it didn't pull in the ratings. I also agree that the show is on thin ice in some ways while it seems to be working in others. They really need someone new to daytime to come in their and revamp the show or at that very least clean it up so it can go down in style. EW or someone over there is getting REALLY cheap. As of today's show, even the Spauldings are living in that hotel! And everything from car crashes to police pursuits, weddings and muggings seem to happen on Main Street! No matter how bad it gets I guess I just keep watching because its a force of habit!

• Members

I don't understand why the show is being criticized for its low budget,and its resultant need to use the same sets. The budget is not the show's fault and not Ellen Wheeler's call to make -- the network and P&G just aren't giving GL as much money anymore. I think GL is doing great with what it has.

Overall I am confident GL will be renewed.

• Members

Four and a half years ago the show had a 2.5 and was last among the old-line soaps. Now it is at about 2.1 and above Days, and is in the pack with the other soaps. The ratings have not steadily declined, they have stabilized. The show will live and prosper.

Most of the characters make sense to me bar the occasional bad writing choice like Olivia backtracking on marrying Buzz.

GL does have one of the best casts still. Crystal Chappell, Justin Deas, Ron Raines, Kim Zimmer, Gina Tognoni, Maeve Kinkead, Robert Newman, Beth Ehlers, Marj Dusay, Marcy Rylan, Jordan Clarke, the list goes on!

• Members

i am pretty sure the ratings were much higher than that because last year they consitently could pull off 2.3s or 2.4s. but nonetheless you are right the show has done a good job lately of remaining fairly steady in the ratings considering it doesn't air everywhere.

as for the budget issues, most of the other soaps have seen budget cuts but GLs are much more striking. When you have the richest family in town living in the same hotel as everyone else in the town -except for Cassie and Josh and the juvies-it takes away from the quality of the show in my opinion. If I were in charge-I would have several different condos and apartment styles for the characters to live in and use the hotel less frequently. if you are only gonna have two sets, they may as well be the most banging two sets you can have!

Archived