ATWT: Craig/Paul/Meg/Lucinda Spoilers for June and July

• Members

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pb...80320/1005/LIFE

'As the World Turns' tapes at Minnewaska

By Kathleen Wereszynski Murray

Poughkeepsie Journal

An actor, nature and a dummy.

What sounds like the premise for a joke is how the executive producer of "As the World Turns" described Thursday's location shoot at Lake Minnewaska.

The pristine swimming hole in Minnewaska State Park stood in for a lake in British Columbia, the setting of a fight scene between Paul Ryan (played by Roger Howarth) and Craig Montgomery (Scott Bryce).

The scene culminates with one character in the CBS daytime drama falling off a cliff. Cue the dummy.

"Our scenic designers have country homes in that area and so they know about Lake Minnewaska," said executive producer Christopher Goutman, who directed the actors Thursday. "The dramatic nature of the rock formations lends a sort of grandeur."

Howarth, an Emmy Award-winning actor, joined the cast of "As the World Turns" in 2003. He played Professor Hetson on "Dawson's Creek," but is probably best known for his portrayal of Todd Manning on "One Life to Live" in the 1990s.

Bryce has recently returned to "As the World Turns" in the role he originated.

Their carefully staged scene, monitored by state park police and park staff, was choreographed by stunt coordinator Jake Turner.

Two scuba divers, one of which is a certified lifeguard with a rescue buoy, were standing by to retrieve anything that fell into the lake during the taping, said park manager Eric Humphrey.

Actresses Elizabeth Hubbard (Lucinda Walsh) and Marie Wilson (Meg Snyder) were also part of the Minnewaska location shoot.

Hubbard originated the role of devious businesswoman Lucinda Walsh on the soap opera in April 1984. She has earned nine Daytime Emmy Award nominations for Outstanding Lead Actress and 10 Soap Opera Digest award nominations.

Wilson joined the cast in 2005.

Publicist Lisa Lugassy summed up the scene, which is scheduled to air in June and July.

"Paul and Meg are romantically involved on and off," Lugassy said. "Craig has been interested in Meg. Craig recently sold Lucinda's company. Paul, Lucinda and Meg have teamed up to get the company back for Lucinda. This is a climax of a big plot that will result in great turmoil for one of these characters."

The soap opera's production schedule only breaks for a week between Christmas and New Year's Day, Goutman said.

"When we are shooting in Lake Minnewaska, others will be shooting at our sound stage in (the Midwood section of) Brooklyn," he said.

In two weeks, the cast and crew head to Branson, Mo., for a weeklong location shoot.

The travel schedule is not common.

"Location shoots happen every now and then," Goutman said. "If we're lucky we do it three times a year."

Why do I get the feeling that ATWT is finally going to be getting good again in June and July. Add this to Luke and Noah and The Branson stuff for July and Carly's return, along with Rosanna and also Aaron, this could be one hell of a Summer.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The trend I've seen is that ATWT really starts to pick itself up for the summer. Ratings for the majority of last summer were actually pretty good and writting was decent. I hope this summer proves itself to be worth watching!

• Members

I am also looking forward to this location shoot, I always love those and the good news is that two weeks after this location shoot we get to see another one, not so happy with who is going on the next one, but I will take a location shoot no matter what, just so we can get a change of scenery, just seeing Emma's kitchen is driving me mad.

Archived