ATWT: Cady McClain Returns to Soap

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am not the biggest Cady McCain fan, but if written with a backbone instead of a shrill, annoying, Cabot shrieking good girl, I may get behind this. I loved what they did with Rosanna and Craig and think she is interesting as a bad girl.

But if there isn't a new headwriter with a better vision I fear this won't help much.

• Members

I kinda figured with the last blog that she was heavily hinting at ATWT. I'm happy for her, returning to a place that valued her - unlike AMC that squandered her return and then drove Dixie into the ground and only minutely tried to rectify that and then killed her with poison pancakes meant for Babe. Makes me sick just thinking about it.

I still don't get why fans are upset at her switching soaps. Have you all never changed jobs in your life? Cady left AMC in 2002 because her life had major shake ups after 9/11. She needed a change and said so. She wanted to play other characters. ATWT scooped her up. Then in 2005 she had more family shake ups, ATWT was writing Ro horribly (Cabot!), so she went back to recurring and ultimately left because of her father was very ill and eventually died. I'm sure Hunt being fired made it even easier to leave.

AMC fired her she didn't leave this time and they punished her for it. So isn't this teaching her the OPPOSITE lesson? LOL Leave, or you'll be thought passe and fired? At any rate, it's HER LIFE and she should be able to leave a job if she wants to. She's not a slave tied to the land (show) she's on. AMC showed how loyal they are to their own show and viewers this year.... and I hope they continue to suffer for it.

Hope she gives ATWT a ratings spike and AMC a ratings nadir. I plan on following her to ATWT again. Will be nice to see Ro take revenge on Craig (for once!)... and see what happens with Paul. But I don't want anymore Cabot crap.

I'll always been sad over what happened to my favorite couple of all time (Tad & Dixie)... but that's spilt milk, and I intend to follow her as Rosanna and enjoy it.

• Members

It's not a matter of signing a contract with AMC fulfilling it, then doing the same at ATWT then going back to AMC. She didn't sign a contract with ATWT so despite being a major character, she'd come and go as she pleased leaving the story in limbo. I recall her only appearing in the opening credits during her final couple of months.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ May 11 2007, 01:25 PM)
It's not a matter of signing a contract with AMC fulfilling it, then doing the same at ATWT then going back to AMC. She didn't sign a contract with ATWT so despite being a major character, she'd come and go as she pleased leaving the story in limbo. I recall her only appearing in the opening credits during her final couple of months.

Cady didn't initially sign a contract with ATWT and was recurring but then she eventually did sign a contract for a year I believe and I thought she appeared in the opening credit for years. I am going to start watching ATWT again now that Cady is coming back (I started watching when she joined in 2002). I will never forgive TIIC at AMC for what they did to the Dixie and Tad and Dixie fans - I thought I would always be a loyal fan of AMC but they treat many of their vets and many of their fans like crap and it has really turned me off to the show.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ May 11 2007, 01:25 PM)

Actually, Cady was recurring from 2002-2004, signed a 1 year contract for 2004-2005, and then went back to recurring for a few months before exiting. When she was in the opening, she was on contract.

IMHO Cady gets "burnt" out because she puts too much of herself (emotionally) into her characters. It drags on her. It's also what makes her so good IMHO. But due to that, the recurring and/or short contracts with some breaks suit her best. That way she can refuel instead of plodding through and burning out more and having to take an extended (year) break. I know it's tricky working her in and out of scripts, but since ATWT was willing, and the exits made sense... I'll go with it. I'd rather have her on a show, with breaks, than not see her or not have her on a show.

Archived