ALL: Kay Alden visits MIT

• Members

ITA. I liked Y&R when Alden and Smith were collaborating with Latham. I didn't like the show when written by Alden and Smith alone and now don't like LML as sole headwriter/Executive Producer. The fast pace along with the failure to integrate characters into the correct storylines have made Y&R incoherent.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The interesting thing about the talk to me was not her comments about AMC or particular soaps, it was her thoughts on the industry as a whole. Daytime is an industry that is in crisis was the topic of her speech.

Her dissertation theme was soap operas as mediators of social change. The public service soap storylines are held somewhat in contempt now IMO, and soaps are really doing a poor job of them too.

• Members

You're totally right there, Jess. I think the main problem with public service storylines these days is that soaps have become so outrageous, that they stick out like the proverbial sore thumb. Furthermore, when they are done, they're just totally disingenuous. They [!@#$%^&*] all over social issues. Look at Josh Madden, Jessica Buchanan's hereditary split personality disorder or Reva's miracle breast cancer cure. Sometimes it boggles my mind that educated adults are writing and acting this stuff let alone watching it.

Fantastic interview by Kay Alden though. I'm not over familiar with her stuff on Y&R but she's got her head screwed on straight. She seems like an innovator in the best sense of the term.

• Members

It sounds like Alden is crying out what we the fans have been crying out for a while now, regarding the state of the soap operas. I still have fond memories as a little girl, watching the soaps with my late grandmother when we would stay with her and my grandfather during the summer months, while our parents were at work. She was the one that got me hooked on Y&R and later on AMC and a few other shows out there(some of which are no longer on the air). I am glad to see someone as respected and knowledgeable as Alden speaking out on the downward spiral of the genre in general.

I am hoping that she does go to AMC as head writer, as I do feel she could bring a lot to this show and bring it back to the glory days it once saw. If the balance and some of the stories over the last month and few weeks have been her doing, then I say keep it up and bring it on.....the glory days of AMC are being revived.

I am glad that she is learing about the shows and characters history and backgrounds and I wonder what ABC's hold up is in naming a new headwriter. Surely to God they are not waiting on JER to write this show, because if he does...then I am through with it. Give me Alden, Give me Smith or Give me death...to rearrange the quote of Patrick Henry...lol.

I am also curious as to what her bible for AMC entails???? I would love to see some snippets of it.

• Members

I have all the AMC contact info if you need, just let me know. :) It can't hurt to let her know that what she's being told is a crock, and that the DNA isn't the end of this storyline. I think this is our last chance, and while I personally, don't have the time, energy, or heart to help fix it anymore, I'll do anyhting that I can to help others make one last stand for Josh and Erica.

Archived