ALL: Kay Alden visits MIT

• Members

I was wondering if you would show up. :)  Anyway, I was thinking about starting a thread about horrible things Kay wrote. But she is a fabulous writer, though. Can' t wait to see if she'll HW AMC and what will she do with the serial.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most definitely! You got it right, Faulkner! Thank you! I went in a completely dfferent drection...

P. S. It was funny to hear she met with Eric Freiwald only two times! Physically. Althought he's been writing for 20 years or so.

• Members

EXACTLY! Two of the stories that made me tune out for about 2 months last year were the Madden stories. The Unabortion and Madden in a Box. Two of possibly the WORST storylines in AMC's history (and believe me, I've been watching for almost 20 years). My mother even stopped watching AMC and just went strictly to OLTL during the whole Madden in a Box reveal. I had to read her the transcript of Tad's confession, and my mother was like, "That was lazy. It sounded like she just wanted to wrap up the story and be done with it."

I love the image I have of Megan listening to Kay shred her precious Madden in a Box storyline on her MP3 player standing on the unemployment line... furious! "You don't understand! That was story GOLD! I MADE MYSELF CRY, DAMMIT!"

• Members

You know, I've been waiting so long for someone to say that. For someone inside AMC to call them out on that [!@#$%^&*], and finally, finally, I have my final vindication. :D Yes, Kay, yes. Oh, and please don't hesitate to write to her and tell her that we only ever saw DNA with Erica and Josh, nothing with Josh and Jeff, and that even that DNA with Erica can be faked. This woman is willing to fix it if she gets the chance, please everyone, show her that we trust her. I can't fight anymore, I have nothing left. :( But this is our chance. AMC has a real chance again, if she's HW. :)

• Members

I noticed she said 'Where The Heart Is' was the first soap opera she thoroughly enjoyed. At the time, Claire Labine and Paul Avila Mayer were headwriters, I wonder if Kay ever met them or was a fan of RH . . .

And LMAO about her attitude towards Megan and Dena's writing.

• Members

I also loved how she praised Bill Bell, Agnes Nixon, and Irna Phillips and went onto say how these people were the three biggest icons of soap opera history. Also, how the shows they've created have veered so far off from their creators intent.

Also, makes me mad when she sad Agnes Nixon gets some things though, but isn't able to make her voice heard on the shows she created.

• Administrator

Thanks for the link to the interview! I downloaded it and will listen to it later. :)

I love reading about soap writers or listening to them talk.

Glad to see others who are obsessed about soap writers too. LOL :D

• Members

This was posted by GalenHenderson our Zendall board, but I put in my own words:

She said she is NOT headwriter for AMC, she wants to be, and said she did a bible for the show.

One of the first things she wanted to do was, undo the Erica's "unabortion" story, and I guess the higher ups admitted they should have never signed off on that storyline. She was trying to find a way to undo it, but figured it was best to let it go as not to remind viewers constantly of that horrible storyline.

She said AMC has has had every event possible in the last year(baby nappings, murder, serial killers, baby swaps, etc) and viewers are exhausted and she's exhausted watching the show.

She said Frons has more respect for viewers than people realize, and he'll sign off on a storyline if the writer is passionate about it, alot of times against his better judgement(Sonny/Emily-GH for example).

Said the research for AMC is awful. They mostly use focus groups to gauge viewer reaction, they don't consider the internet audience an accurate representation, ..anyways AMC research shows that the canvas is full of characters everyone dislikes and never wants to see again

Archived