The Price is Right needs a new host, I hear

Dr. Jay S.W.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are you SERIOUS!?

On another note, I am so glad Rosie is not being considered for this job.

Hollywood Reporter said earlier this month George Hamilton was spotted eating lunch with Les Moonves and is said to be the front runner. The other two in serious contention were Mark Steines(from ET) and Mario Lopez(from SAVED BY THE BELL).

Doesn't look too good for him but I hope so. I think of the game show vets he is clearly the best fit.

• Members

Honey, I don't want either one of them stinking up PRICE with their annoying Il Divo-like antics.

A game show veteran is CLEARLY needed in this spot and I wished CBS/Fremantle would realize that and hire Todd Newton. He's young enough to appeal to 18-49, he's hot enough to appeal to every woman in every age demographic, AND he knows how to create and build tension because he's done a game show before. You're not gonna get that with George Hamilton, who probably won't stay with PRICE after his five year deal is over.

• Members

I think Rosie could be interesting doing it, though she would have to stop with all of her different views all the time and focus on the show, which could be tough for her seeing as she likes to speak her mind, but other than that I think she would make an ok game show host.

• Members

If John O'Hurley (or Rosie) becomes the new host for "The Price is Right," I'll definitely turn it off after watching it for the last 17 years.

Todd Newton is OBVIOUSLY the best choice for the job. He has nearly 10 years of game show experience, thus he already has a huge following in the game show community. The younger fans love him, the older fans love him, he's just an all-around great host. I could see him doing the show for years to come. If the show is able to make it through the transitional period, he could easily carry the show through another 35+ years. And by then, he'd still be over 10 years younger than what Bob is now.

• Members

Thanks for recognizing this. I don't think too many people realize that in the game show community, they like and respect tradition just as much as we do with our soaps. I haven't checked the Golden Road Forums or any other board lately, but I guarantee there are probably lots of people that shudder to think of George Hamilton or Mario Flipping Lopez hosting PRICE.

I knew Fremantle/CBS would try to lure someone who had no gameshow experience at all to host PRICE. And I'm not saying that it is necessarily a BAD thing. Look at some of these replacement successes:

-Meredith Vieira with MILLIONAIRE(no game show hosting experience, the show now a modest syndie success story).

-Richard Karn with FAMILY FEUD(still have no idea why they replaced this guy with O'Hurley, he gave FEUD some of its dignity back after the God-Awful Louie Anderson era).

-Pat Sajak for WHEEL OF FORTUNE(love him or hate him, Sajak was able to make WHEEL into his territory and fans love him for it...and Vanna shame Chuck couldn't stick with WHEEL awhile longer. He's far superior to Pat in every way imagineable).

But, there HAVE been failures and flops!

-Rolf Benerske for WHEEL(what do you do when you get an ex-NFL player to host a game show? Rolf, who, when a game was tied at the end of a show, said to the producers(paraphriasing), "So, we have a tie...uh uh uh...what do we do now?" Nice guy, wrong field. Rolf for WHEEL was like thinking Alex Trebek could be replaced with OJ Simpson.

-Louie Anderson for FAMILY FEUD(need I say anything else?)

The point I'm making is that whoever they pick, no matter if they have gameshow experience or not, they HAVE to know the rules of the game and they have to establish a wonderful camraderie with the contestants. Otherwise, its not gonna work.

Todd Newton DESERVES to be the replacement. I just don't see anyone like George Hamilton or Mario Lopez maintaining the numbers after the initial few months. Newton has more staying power of anyone they auditioned.

Archived