Days: Is Anyone Sick of the Sheffer bashing?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't been very vocal about it, but I've been liking Hogan ever since he first started at DAYS. I have seen a dip in quality since Feb. or so, but I still enjoy DAYS more than any soap oepra right now. More than Y&R, GL, and ATWT. Even though every episode isn't action packed, I still find myself enjoying the episodes because the dialogue is excellent.

I have to also add the show is also more character driven now, and I'm enjoying that too.

• Members

Well, I agree that Hogan's writing for characters is the best "Days" has seen in years. But he's just not doing big events and shockers that get people to watch, and he CAN do that, even with the crop of characters Corday forced him to write for.

Make JER his co-head writer and I'll be happy, because then "Days" will have smart characters, fast writing AND big events and that "crowd-pleasing weirdness" that only JER can bring, that drives the ratings up.

Alone, they are heavily flawed, but together? They're kids a DYNOMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITE!!!

• Members

Actually, JER was burnt out. But ask most "Passions" fans on this board, and, unless they're lying in the 'Pash' threads, he's making that show great again for its ending. It's already started, and that "classic" feeling has been back in all aspects of production, for a couple of weeks now.

JER doesn't "suck," nor is he a "JERk." He was just burnt out from Corday forcing him to toe the line, writing two soaps for a few years and having to deal with all the other bad politics of the soap opera industry.

And let's never say never. Who knows if JER and Hogan won't be a dream team? Two fat men who write soaps and do it well? Maybe they'll even fall in love! How FREAKING HOT would be that be?

But what would their nickname be? Jamesgan? Hojames? Hogames? Or HER? Jogan? JERgan?!!! Oh, this is so confusing!!! :unsure:

• Members

*must resist temptation to crack joke*

Day to day I think the show is better. Most of the dialogue is good, although some parts suck (I'm looking at you Deja Vu Shawn and Belle). Stories are realistic (for the most part) and the acting has improved.

That being said... I stopped watching when it was all EJ all the time. Having his moronic smirk on everyday isn't my cup of tea. It went from an umbrella story to a damn plague.

• Members

Fans complain about it, but I think they prefer their characters dumbed down, along with the Salem PD, and for their women characters to be pschotic nymphos. "Days'" ratings were unstoppable when JER did his worst in the early '90s. They ate it up. A lot complained but isn't it true that the ratings maintained and NEVER went down? That's pretty admirable.

It just shoes that "Days" fans are fickle and really don't know what they want. Hogan's "Days," in many ways, is too perfect.

• Members

I really disagree that Hogan writes more character driven stories. He has Sami in a totally unrelated to her character driven story now, purely plot driven. His on the run story is plot driven. If I really was thinking about it, I'm sure there are others that could be thrown in there. I join forces with those who loved Beth Milsten. She really made the fans breathe fresh after all the last few years of flashbacks and character talking to themselves the same over and over. Hogan is the one we are begging for "balance", he has no balance to tie the stories to the characters. I guess this is complaining and I feel justified in it. By the same token, he does get credit where credit is due.

• Members

When I said that I meant that, well, things are more realistic than they've been in YEARS (God knows how many), and yet the ratings are at record lows. I think people, no matter how they complained, subconsciously (and obviously) preferred a flawed, madcap, over-the-top "Days" that JER provided.

• Members

No. If I had to endure that again, my time as a Days viewer would officially be over.

I think that the low ratings are caused by something other than non-acid trippy stories. For example, pacing and character focus.

Archived