Would Rebecca Budig or Gina Tognoni be the better Brenda Barrett on GH?

• Members

Okay we know Vanessa is not returning to GH and GH really wants to bring Brenda back. I know most people say NAY to the re-cast. If you had to choose between Budig or Tognoni who would you choose? Budig IMO is all wrong for Brenda. She is too whiny, not deep enough, and her acting is just okay. Tognoni is fabulous actress and she plays vixen/!@#$%^&*] very well. ABC has apparently wanted Tognoni ever since she won the emmy for GL. Gina Tognoni's contract expires at GL in early May. I would definitely say Gina, she is fabulous and she is pretty much the only actress I see as Brenda re-cast.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To be honest, if they recasted Brenda it would be a total and complete flop. When Vanessa returned briefly in 2002, GH earned the highest ratings it had gotten in years. Only Marcil can deliver that, I can't see the general GH fan-base being accepting of another actress in the role. Marcil, as overrated as I consider her to be, IS BRENDA, no one can replace her.

That said, if they recasted, I'd prefer Tognoni over Budig. Though, I don't want Gina to leave GL, she was so meant to play Dinah.

Though, if Brenda came back, I'm sure they'd focus a lot on her and place Carly on the back-burner, which I'm all for! I want Brenda and Carly to truly hate one another, since Carly will always be second to Brenda for both Sonny and Jax.

• Members

I do not see Gina returning to OLTL. I think she is entertaining GH because what I have heard is she wants to move back to the west coast. Leaving GL for OLTL I bet you she will not do but for GH it is absolute maybe. GH can pay her more money too because GL has such a restricted budget.

• Members

Neither would do. There is only one person to play Brenda and that is Vanessa. I truely pity the person that tries if GH is stupid enough to do that. I agree with the person above when it was Vanessa who brought the ratings and the people back so it would sink if they think they can recast.

Its just some characters you dont recast and that is one for me.

• Members

They should never recast Brenda, but if they put RB in the role it is SURE to be a disaster. She is NO supermodel. She is pretty enough, but the attitude and her whole "being" just doesn't do it for me at all in the role of Brenda. Gina, on the other hand... if they're gonna do it, she'd be good.

• Members

What Gina said is that she knew Heather Tom's contract was up and she was leaving. She would never close the door on OLTL but I think in Gina's mind she has done everything she wanted to with Kelly. OLTL asked Gina back three to four times when she left the show and she declined every time. Before Tracy Melchoir was hired, they were persuing Gina and the deal almost came close but she declined. Then after TM failed, they asked her again and she said NO. Also at this time the character of Kelly Cramer is not a needed one on the canvas. I doubt Gina leaves GL for OLTL. If it were GH I see her saying yes but she also is auditioning for pilots.

• Members

Just FYI: I have new SOD featuring a new interview with Vanessa Marcil and here is what she says about the recasting of Brenda:

Digest: How do you feel about a possible Brenda recast?

Marcil: I always want what's best for the show because the show is the real star. We're all replaceable; I'm no exception. But if they did recast Brenda and it was a success, I would be heartbroken because I would never [be able to] come back.

Digest: You've always said, "Never say never" about a daytime return.

Marcil: I've never even said, "Never say never," because I want to [come back]! I would love to, I've only left the show twice and it was more to make sure that my personal life was put first. It never had anything to do with seeing if there was more out there for me as actress: I don't think there's anything bigger or better than being as loved as I was with Brenda. It's just a lot of work to be on that show full-time."

I hope that it was all right that I post that.

Archived