Y&R Discussion: Week of February 19th

• Members

I hate that all of the threads turn into DAYS-discussion, but this is also related to Y&R so I'm going to continue.

Okay. I see where you are coming from. I am a believer that "newbies" as people call them are the futures of the show. On DAYS, Lucas, Sami, EJ, Philip, Shawn, Belle, Willow, Max, Abby, Chelsea and Nick are the future characters that will be the main point of the show. That's how it has to work. John, Marlena, Bo, Hope, Steve, Kayla, etc. cannot be the main focus of this show, just as Bill, Doug, Julie, Mickey, Maggie, etc. had to pass down the torch, they will too. That is what I mean by passing down the torch. At a point in time, the show needs to move it's focus to the next generation of characters and let them take over the lead roles.

With Y&R, I'm not seeing that happening. You have Amber Moore, who isn't even a Y&R character, move to Genoa City and in a matter of 3 months has been thrown into a story that was promised to Walton and Cooper. She's now the star and Walton and Cooper are supporting characters. This is not a case of passing down the torch. There is no torch being passed down from Kay and Jill to Amber. Amber is part of their storyline and has had a handful of episodes with each character. That's the problem. Kay and Jill are off in their own little world. They don't interact with Amber. There is no passing of the torch as there is on DAYS.

That's what makes the two examples different. I don't see the point of discussing this any further. You are not going to change your view and you will continue to praise The Hack, and you are more than allowed to that. I can believe you're wrong, just as you can believe I'm wrong. And I do think you're wrong.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I won't discuss the other anymore either. But I will say that I don't see anywhere that with this story I praised the Hack as you call her. I pointed out several problems here but some of the problems you see with the story I don't see is all that I was saying.

I even started out saying that I like the story but it could be so much better. I can think of many ways taht Latham messed up here, and I pointed them out and agreed with ChrisB on many of the things he brought up.

I am sorry that I enjoy the show so much now. But I am not the only one. I know that there are not many of them on this board, but there are many of us out there that are enjoying Y&R. I am enjoying it more than I have in years. That is not to say that I don't see it's faults, but even with it's faults I enjoy it 10 times better than I did under Smith. Sorry, but I do.

And the rise in ratings has more to do with people just watching out of habit. If the people were only watching out of habit then the ratings would just stay what they were, but even before the college ratings came into play ratings were going up. So there are many people out there that are enjoying the show.

They may be new viewers or like this version of Y&R better than what they were watching somewhere else. They may be viewers who like me didn't like Smith's version of Y&R and came back. But the truth is that the viewers are growing. Sure some are watching out of loyalty - some are watchign out of habit - but if that is all it was the ratings would be stagnant but they aren't.

With her faults Latham's stories are easy to catch on too, and that makes it easy for new viewers to fall into. And sadly even though I think the pace is too fast, many modern day viewers like that. I am not one of them. I think she should slower the pace down to enhance the drama.

Drew I see all of Latham's faults. I think Y&R deserves better but her Y&R is not totally bad. What she does right I really like, and the thing that I love the most is that for the most part her stories are entertaining for me. I don't find any of them boring except for the Reliquary. And I find the show balanced. She features everyone. And I like that. As far as all 9 shows on the air now Y&R still has the best balance of any show out there. Even Nikki who doesn't really have a story is not necessarily backburner. She is there so often and her scenes are not short ones many times either.

As I said before if Amber ends up with the same amount of lead in this story as she is right now, I will be the first to complain about it. I am just holding out hope that right now Latham is just building to a big story of a battle of 3 women for the love of one man - well Jill/Kay for his love and Amber for his money. If she isn't then she is screwing up big time.

• Members

Amber/Cain is another rehash storyline of Nina/Philip. With Jill and Katherine interfering all over again. It is not original. I would love to see Cain fight Nina over the Chancellor estate since her son is not a real Chancellor. But I am enjoying Y&R. It is much better than Alden/Smith days.

• Members

I am going to say this: I actually loved Gloria today...simply for the fact that she had a deep love for her son and believes in her son being innocent.

I have to crack up thinking of how Brad is the cause of so much drama:

His past caused nosey J.T. and dopey Paul to go snooping around

Brad's past got his home trashed, Victoria's car smashed and Sharon held captive

Brad's past caused the murder of Carmen Mesta, who's death framed the Winters family

Because of Brad's past, Colleen's stubborn behavior caused her life to be put in danger

Because of Brad's past, Kevin's butt is being fasely accused based on that psycho girlfriend of his wanting all that reliquary treasure

Basically, while Brad is blaming J.T. and Kevin for everything, poor sucker didn't realize that he's the cause of a lot of the mess that keeps darkening his doorstep.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Feb 20 2007, 11:31 PM)
But the whole thing with Jill and Katherine is really making me sick. Thankfully I'm about to order some classic Y&R eppys from 1997-1999 so hopefully I have some good Kay/Jill fueding in here! Hell, just classic Y&R in general, lol.

Wait for those episodes from 1998-1999 when Kay Alden took over the show. She totally rebuild the Kay/Jill feud to never before seen extent - well, not since the late 70s at least. It was intense, great, fabulous, exciting - the built-up and the incorporation of Michael Baldwin (when he was still sleazy)... FAB-U-LOUS, the attic scenes, the courtroom drama, Kay/Jill's roomy situation with the maid from hell and the famous mirror scene. AMAZING!

I was on the edge of my seat, Y&R has never been better, IMO.

As for the current drivel: WTF!? The show is so extremely stale, the actors try their best but the mterial is just not there. Stories move at a break-neck pace without any highlighting and it is just so poor. I may hate the main two couples on B&B these days, yet the show is 1000 times better than Y&R because the writing is just there.

• Members

I don't think the show is as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. IMO what really brought the show down in the last couple of months was the whole reliquery mess. I also think the Victor scheme with Jack running for office is dumb and boring too....(although one interesting thing happend and that was Jack found out that there is proof that Victor paid the senator too and the senator has proof) Carmen Mesta's murder was a good storyline IMO. The Sheila/Phyllis story wasn't bad but it wasn't good...it was average and it held my attention but I wouldn't have written the story that way. I am enjoying the Kevin/Colleen story that has just started. With that being said there is a major plothole. First of all, There's no evidence that ties Kevin to the fire at all. Legally, that wallet can't be used as evidence because the police didn't find it and they don't know if JT or Adrian put those women's licenses there or not...nor do they know if the wallet was actually found my Colleen's car. I was amazed that Kevin got arrested off of that. Now I do tend to suspend reality sometimes since this is a tv show but that's a huge plothole IMO...I'm still enjoying the show though and hopefully Kevin will get out of jail Monday or Tuesday due to the lack of evidence.

• Members

"Rehash" sounds bad here.

When Jill-Kay took on Nina, it was the FIRST time that these bitter enemies--who still hated each other--found common purpose. Watching them work together, even as they bickered, was amazing. And, shockingly, Tricia Cast's little Nina was just odious enough that we could believe her as strong enough--because of the baby she was carrying--to defeat both tough old women.

I've long thought that the secret to reinvigorating the moribund Jill-Kay story was to give them a common enemy, and some anger at each other. Amber could be the enemy...even Stephanie and Brooke teamed up against her once. Unfortunately...and this is what I'm not getting...I don't sense Jill's anger. Jill should be APOPLECTIC that her mother pulled a Sheila on her all those years ago. But I see them holding hands together and working together to find Cane...

What I'm wondering is if Kay will side with Amber...that would re-energize the emnity, and it would be an interesting and decidedly different beat from the past.

Personally, I'm just glad to finally see Amber being used to full effect. I also really the the CBS Innertube "LA Diaries", and the backstory they're creating for Y&R/B&B's Amber and ATWT's Ali Stewart. The digital video they're showing looks almost like an independent film. Amber drove story on B&B for years, and Brad Bell still considers her a major asset. It would be terrific to see Moore bring some of that fierce, tragic, desperate energy to Y&R. Genoa City doesn't have a single cloying, desperate bad girl any more. For a show that once boasted Jill, Lauren, Nina, Phyllis, Cassandra, even Brittany (yech!), that's a big hole in the canvas.

• Members

Please watch responding to another poster's post with only the rolling eyes smily or the LOL smily. They only evoke a negative response. Everyone's opinions are important and they should not be made to feel that they aren't by a person rolling their eyes at their post or laughing at their post.

Those type of posts are just the same as saying something that is arrogant or rude, and are the same type of posts that are causing so many of the problems on the board now.

We are asking right now that the arrogant comments, the rude remarks, the responses of certain smilies to stop. We will stop asking politely and start issuing warnings and suspensions for them.

This board is for everyone - not just the ones who opinion agrees with the opinion that each of us wants to hear. And no one poster is always right.

• Members

I really like posting these Y&R discussion threads...I also like reading everyone's opinions regarding what they like/dislike about the show and the characters. However, I don't want to wind up regretting making a thread if folks aren't going to get along, because I truly like doing this for those who watch Y&R...

• Members

I find nothing wrong with posters repyling with one of those emotion icons. If someone feels that a post is absurd, why should we not be able to express how we feel? Posters need to realize that this is a message board filled with all of kinds of different indviduals with different opinions and ways they express themselves. I feel that once you log onto SON, you should drop all of your personal feelings and set them aside. Come in here, just to enjoy yourself and post. If something another poster says bothers you, don't respond to it. Ignore the post. I'm finding it very irritating to see the mods repeating themselves, saying "lets agree to disagree" or "please be polite." If a post bothers you that much, ignore it.

Venus, there is no need to stop posting because of other posters. Ignore those posts and keep doing what you're doing.

Archived