AMC right now is

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As a person who tuned in during an episode in Junior High School and took one look at Erica Kane the Senusal Model, and never stopped watching, I can relate to falling in love with a character then coming to care about the other families, stories, and before you know Pinevalley becomes a place I grow up with. over 25 years later it angers me that the characters I watched grow up and marry and have children and trials and tribulations are pushed aside and ignored. TPTB are idiots if they underestimate the economic power and rating power of the generation that pushed AMC to the # 1 slot. While I am the first to admit that I am at times drawn to the power and talent of some of the newbies you cannot base entires plots around people like Babe, Zarf and Zach no matter how popular they are with a bubble gum crowd. A well planned story (remember those) is one rooted in history and using the talents of the veterans. Cady was many things, but she was also a two time emmy winner as was Julia. David Canary, 5 time emmy winner needs to be pushed to the forefront pronto with three time winner MEK. Though she may have only one Emmy, you cannot overlook the impact Lucci has on the show, history and the cast. Her relationship with Alica and Eden is so believable and took time to build that I care about them even though they are recast they are just as dear to me as Susan. We care about and believe in her relationship with Jack and through that we have accepted Lily, Greenlee, Sean and Reggie ( which is a damn shame they still don't address his abscence properly). Her respect/hate relationship with Brooke was a show staple though she will always be good as a sparing partner with Barbara because once again their is history there we know about be cause we lived through it. Writers can't ruin that because for someone who has watched for 30 years the look Susan Pratt and Susan Lucci gave each other transcends dialogue, that is what is missing now. I will give credit, Jacob Young and Alexa Havins are great talents that can hold their own with the veterans, but you need to blend more experience with these new plots and people who should have remained day playes like everyone at Wildwind, and Confusion. This show is suffering from a total disregard and lack of concern about history and the long time viewer. They never needed ratings tricks or sweeps because in the old days they told good solid stories about family and relationships. The conflict of love and the obstacles of life were enough to keep you interested everyday not just four times a year. Perhaps a focus group with people who are knowledgable and have a vested concern for the show would help the writers and producers learn to respect the history that we to have lived with the characters and actors.

• Members

Maybe not the actual show, but surely you see how the OPENING (what I was referring to in the post) honors the past. That VERY retro picture of Erica, for starters. You won't find that on ANY other soap that has ditched its vets and history onscreen during storytime. That's what I meant. No matter how much Pine Valley has changed in the show's narrative, the opening reminds everyone of what it was, and connects the two eras. I think it's brilliant.

• Members

I think it’s bad, and I never thought I’d say this but I wish AMC had a bigger fall in the ratings so that Frons could fire McTavish. But, I think he can do it now but doesn’t want to. I’m so sorry that this once sophisticated soap opera is in tatters and no-one is doing a thing to prevent further fall.

• Members

I think AMC is absolutely horrible. Some of the premise isn't all bad - a serial killer with ties to someone's past, a transgendered person's journey and a baby saga that could pan out for years. However, they're all done the wrong way. Look at the Wildwind group - I love a group of friends on a soap but they are so contrived it's ridiculous.

• Members

Don't get me started on Jonathan not only living in home of the man he murdered in cold blood -- BUT living on the same grounds on which he committed the crime?!?

But, yeah, I agree with you. The ideas and concepts aren't bad at all. But they've all been turned into stories to center around Babe. The Satin Slayer... All About Babe (I mean, really. When Dixie was pronounced dead, and the first words you hear is, "That could've been Babe?"). Zoe's transgender journey? All About Babe (When a transitioning person decides to make their first legitimate debut in the world dressed as a woman -- JUST TO HELP BABE...).

This show is having such major problems because it doesn't know how to focus its already piss poor writing on anything except Babe or Ryan.

• Members

Well I have to disagree here. Since about Thanksgiving, Colby has drastically changed and the actress portraying her has improved so much. Just watch today's episode to see an example of that.

Lily was on a LOT last year and most of the posters around here anyway hated her storylines. Besides the romantic pairing of Lily/Jonathan, I enjoyed most of her stuff (Terry, NYC, etc etc). Now she's been given a break lately, but she pops up every once in awhile.

Dani was featured pretty regularly once the Satin Slayer storyline started...once she got attacked and was saved, they sent her to live with relatives in Hawaii until the killer is caught. So who knows when she'll come back.

Anyway - I think AMC is worth watching, if only for Bobbie Eakes! That chick has already won the Emmy for her performances all week.

Archived