DAYS: New male character

• Members

It ain't fan outrage that's keeping Swillow on the screen that's for sure. The character is nothing more than a crutch for the Shelle/Claire/Philip story. Once that blows over, I see AB getting her walking papers and this useless trash is gone for good!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Matt Ashford thought he was safe after coming back with a supposedly new contract, then they decided to fire him. So if it can happen to a vet and a fan-favorite, TPTB can say good riddance to an actress with a number of fans you can count on one hand.

• Members

That is true. I've clearly stated that I know anyone is at risk of being fired, even with a contract. However, Jack was not a Hogan creatoin. When a head writer creates a new character, they usually have plans for the character. And when that writer plans on introducing family members, you can rest assure that the family members are only being brought on to boost that character.

In Jack's case, Ashford was fired because Corday didn't feel that Jack could survive without Jennifer. He wanted to give Jack and Jennifer fans their happy ending. It was long overdue. That is why Ashford was fired right after getting a contract.

Annie and Matt are in no way in the same boat. Don't compare them.

• Members

A similar situation like this occurred on ATWT a few years back while Hogan was still HW. He introduced a new character and her brother that NOBODY liked and were played by horrible actors.

You wanna know what happened? 8-9 months later, they were GONE.

The same thing will happen with Willow/Jed.

• Members

Please tell me that you are not comparing Willow to Celia. That's such a sin. :angry:

If you are talking about Celia and the character that AJ Lamas played, then you are right. Those actors were horribl. However, Annie Burgstede has grown as an actress in the 4 months that she's been on. I just watched her first scene with Shawn, and then watched the custody battle scene. Annie has defintiely grown and anyone who won't admit that, just is in denial. Hopefully, this new actor being brought on as Jed will be good too.

• Members

Even with Willow's brother coming on, I highly doubt Willow's going to be sticking around long-term. In fact, I think his presence is more about beefing up that generation than the Stark clan. Plus, look at Connor- he was brought on when we already knew Patrick and Mimi were probably leaving, possibly Bonnie, too. He was brought on to wrap up their story. So, nothing's ever an obvious route, is it?

• Members

I'm still going to give Jed a chance. If Hogan and the writers make him the opposite of Willow, and Frank Mentier can actually act, then it might be good.

There is nothing wrong with showcasing teens/college students, but it depends on the writing and the acting. Abby, Chelsea, Nick, and Connor are much better characters than SSM's and Langan's teens of seven years ago, and their stories are a bit more easier to take than what we had with Tropical Temptation, Operagirl.net, and everyone picking on the fat girl crap.

• Members

I agree. For the first time, in a long time, I'm looking forward to the summer teen stories. It seems like Hogan has a grasp on Chelsea, Abby, Nick, Max, and now hopefully Jed. They have character personality unlike Langan's teen set where they weren't personalities, but stereotypes. Belle- popular girl, Shawn- rebel with a heart, Philip- rich snob, Mimi- self-cautious sidekick, Jan- rich [!@#$%^&*], Jason- jock, Chloe- outcast.

• Members

Fock Willow. I could not care less whether he was related to her or not. Max, Chelsea, and Abby have all deteriotated as characters both in interest and in likability since he has taken over. Max has become a dumb fock, and Chelsea is acting like a lovesick teen straight out of Langan's era. Abby is an annoying wench.

Chelsea and Abby's scenes the other day with the ketchup and the mustard made me want to gag. Saved by the Bell much? And I don't want a-freaking-nother one now!

This influx of new faces will not get Hoagie and DAYS those ratings they want. Period.

• Members

Yes. I don't want the teen scene thing all over again. It will only cause bad ratings and likely won't encourage NBC to keep it in 2009 if they even have the thought in mind that they might keep it.

IA with you too HoganStays. We need people like Eileen, Louise, and Joe. Somneone said in another thread that with Joe wanting long term that is something Days can't fix.

But, Louise is open to going back as she stated in an interview about a month ago. Eileen said she might be and there is already a rumour going around about it.

• Members

I don't know why people are bringing up Langan. We have 3 new characters-two of which may not even be long term. I don't count Connor as it seems he won't be here long. This is not Langan. The current Days teen scene is not on every day. They have personalities thanks to Hogan. He has redeemed Chelsea and still kept her edge. Max is being made into a hero. Abby is more the wall paper now. She may not have much story-wise but she no longer is in the background. Nick is very likeable. The short time Connor has been here he has been great. I would be be ok with him staying but I don't see it.

This Jed character may be good too. We don't know yet.

I agree Days needs familiar faces to return but I think asking them to bring a few back is too much. I think ED and LS would be fine but after that they should stand pat. I don't want to see them go nuts again and bloat the cast back up like it was these past few years. The show does need new blood. It doesn't need a new family but it needs characters not connected to the core families so at least with Jed you get that. I don't like the idea of him being brought on but I understand the situation and that is you can't always just bring back familiar faces. Familiar faces don't always equal ratings either. ED and JM would but I am not sure about anyone else. Hell, with the current ratings who knows? They may not go up at all with a return.

Bottom line is I think people are jumping on Hogan a little too much. This is not even close to 1998-2001 when we had new characters all over the place. Nick is really the only character that has staying power and that I see being long term. I think we all just need to wait and see. All the complaining is moot if Willow and Jed are gone by summer.

Archived