AMC: The Reason Cady Got Axed!

• Members

So accoring to SOD Dixie dies from eating poisioned pancakes! Perhaps the dumbest death in the history of AMC for a major character.

Carruthers basically says she's not at all worried about angry fans. That it was the right decision with the right person.

She's oh-so-find of Cady.

And she says that although Dixie is dead, she will be a part of AMC as long as it is on the air (so I guess not much longer).

I'll post a paraphrased version of the whole thing if it isn't up anywhere else by this evening.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If ABC/JHC let Cady go knowing full well that TK would be leaving this spring then they have to be killing the show on purpose. That's pure suicide.

And if TK is leaving, I'm sure he would have told Julie quite some time ago, well before Cady was fired.

• Members

I'll post a paraphrased version of the whole thing if it isn't up anywhere else by this evening.>>

Angela was kind enough to type up the entire piece of BS at New Beginnings:

http://p206.ezboard.com/fbabeandbiancafanf...picID=925.topic

JHC actually says it's the right time and right character for this when Dixie's story is just starting (at least the part that many fans were anticipating). Just when you thought they couldn't be bigger liars or betray the fans any more than they have - watch out and check the picture on the link. What BS that Dixie is going to realize that Kathy is Kate and be reunited with her ... when she is already dead apparently since she collapses this week. Well, it's not moving or touching for me - it's insulting.

• Members

This JHC lady is a B!TCH.

WHY AMC KILLED DIXIE

This week AMC kills off the beloved character of Dixie, played on and off since 1988 by Cady McClain.

The sure-to-be-controversial decision was made in part to ratchet up the dramatic impact of the show's ongoing serial killer plot. "By the killer getting to somone so pivotal and with so much history, it heightens the stakes for the entire story," says Executive Producer Julie Hanan Carruthers. "It shows that [potential victims] are not just going to be [potrayed by] somebody whose contract is up at the opportune time or is moving to L.A. for the pilot season."

Not that the show's bottom line didn't factor in. "I would totally be denying it if I said we aren't doing some of this story to make a smaller cast," Carruthers admits. "Obviously, we have to do that; we could have just done it. In this case, we had all the elements converging to say, 'Anthing can happen, not only what you expect - and by the way, all the other people you care about are taken into a whole other arena because of this event.' It gives us great momentum moving forward for those left behind."

Is Carruthers afraid fans will raise their fists in anger? "You know what? I'm sure they will because this is a beloved character. But do I have any trepidation that it might be the wrong decision? Absolutely not," she says. "From a story point of view and a business standpoint, I absolutely think it's the right thing for the show - the right decision at the right time with the right character."

"The trepidation is only on a personal level because you don't like to be the one responsible for people no longer being part of this place when they've been here so long," she continues. "I happen to be very fond of Cady and have a great relationship with her and think she's a spectacular actress. But to me, Cady's always going to be a part of ALL MY CHILDREN - and the character of Dixie lasts as long as the show is on the air."

The exec promises that Dixie's send-off will honor her history with Tad and her quest for their missing daughter. "She's in a very good place with everyone and there are lovely surprises with baby Kate," Carruthers says. "The tune-in has amazing payoff, and then we have to look forward to Tad ultimately finding out who Kathy [really] is. The future is filled with a whole other level of not only grief, but life."

After Julia Barr's exit (yes I saw it), I don't hold much hope. AMC seems to be plagued with many dark characters right now.

• Members

I'm starting to question my defense of McTavish on this firing now.

Poisoned pancakes is such a McT death. Maybe she and Cady are no longer on good terms either? Surely McT would have come up with something better for her beloved Dixie?

• Members

I don't know what happened to JHC. She used to be one of the most respected people in the business. I remember when GH won best drama at the emmys in....97 or 98. Most of Wendy Riche's acceptance speech was dedicated to JHC and what a wonderful, honorable woman she was. And I'm sure it was true.

She's friends with Thorsten...one would assume they have similar mindsets and views on what is good/bad for the show.

It just doesn't make any sense.

• Members

I am so depressed about what they are doing to Cady/Dixie. What a way to kill off a key character... a poisoned pancake. How disgusting and embarrasing. I decided to no longer watch AMC until McTavish is fired. I hoped that AMC would begin to make changes and that the show could be fixed by a better writer. Now, I am not so sure. It is a complete mess and I don't see any effort to try and improve it. All I see is negative stuff and that has to be turning off a lot of other fans too.

And I really wouldn't be surprised if Thorsten was on his way out to CA. AMC is a sinking ship and he would be smart to go to another soap, one that would actually utilize his talents. I don't think Zach has to be killed off. If the SK is really tied to his past, the emotional angst and guilt could be enough to drive him away from Kendall and out of town.

I just need to say goodbye to AMC for good but it is so hard to let go of a show that I once loved so much.

• Members

I could accept this if it were Edge of Night... hell, they killed a character on there once when her makeup got poisoned by pesticide (Nicole Cavanaugh, and that was one of the dumbest things Edge did in its final couple years on the air), but this is AMC, and poisoned pancakes makes no sense. Wow. This may go down as one of the stupidest deaths in daytime history.

• Members

I can't see how any of this could be on Cady. She never even got to negotiate at all so it's not like she could have said "well I won't stay if you're doing Tad and Dixie again". Maybe she would have said that had she had the chance but that doesn't matter now.

Archived