Y&R Discussion: Week of January 22nd

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tuesday epi was pretty boring. However, I did laugh at Sharon's line. It was such an unexpected bit of relief from all the "heavy" dialogue. (Long-time viewers should remember a time when every character used the word "heavy" to describe the dire circumstances they were facing.)

• Members

Well I'll be damned...

German Jew Returns to Berlin to Reclaim Father's Art Collection Seized by Nazis

BERLIN (AP) -- Peter Sachs was only a year old in 1938 when the Nazis seized his father's collection of rare posters and the Jewish family fled to the United States. He returned to Germany on Tuesday for the first time in nearly seven decades to try to recover the thousands of first-run prints that could be worth as much as $50 million.

Walking through the German Historical Museum, which holds what is left of the collection, he gazed contemplatively at the colorful works, his first glimpse of the placards that had been so precious to his father, Hans. "It's a little bit difficult to describe, I'm still trying to take it all in," the retired US Airways pilot said as he looked at a poster advertising a trade convention in Dresden from 1911. "I wish I had all day to spend here."

Sachs, 69, of Sarasota, Fla., will testify Thursday at a government commission that will determine if the collection should be returned to him or stay at the museum, which inherited it from East Germany after the fall of the Berlin Wall. He contends that although his father received some compensation, it came from West Germany when it was believed the collection had been destroyed during the war.

Now that it turns out that 4,300 posters survive, he said they should be returned to his family. Sachs' attorney, Gary Osen, said a good estimate of the collection's value would be between $10 million and $50 million. It includes elaborate advertisements for exhibitions, cabarets and consumer products, as well as political propaganda.

One on display at the museum is an early anti-Semitic placard from 1920, showing the Nazi party's ideal "Aryan" woman next to the caricature of a Jew above a coffin atop a slab labeled "Deutschland." Although he said he has no concrete plans for what he would do with the posters, Sachs said he wants to somehow make as many as possible available for the public to see.

The Berlin museum has only 14 on display; the rest are in storage. "My father was a remarkable man of tremendous warmth, a very sharing and giving man, and his purpose ... was to disseminate as much of this into the culture as possible," Sachs told The Associated Press. "What remains of the collection has pretty much been lying in the basement of a German museum and kept from the world. I would like it to be liberated and shown to the world as he wanted."

The museum says the posters play an integral part of its 80,000-piece collection, filling in many gaps from turn-of-the-century Germany. Collections Director Dieter Vorsteher noted that while only a few are on display, those in storage are regularly used by researchers. The museum will be represented at the hearing Thursday by its attorneys, and Vorsteher would not comment on details of the case.

"I can well understand one's desire to have back what was owned by their father, but we are trying to fight for the interests of the museum," Vorsteher said. "It is not my collection, but the Federal Republic of Germany's collection, and the country will decide whether we have to give it back or not (but) it would not only be a loss for us but for the history of posters," he said.

Born in 1881, Hans Sachs was a dentist who began collecting posters while in high school. By 1905, he was Germany's leading private poster collector and later launched the art publication Das Plakat, or The Poster.

After the Nazis came to power, the collection caught the eye of Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels, who wanted it for a museum, and it was seized in summer 1938. On Nov. 9, 1938, during the Jewish pogrom Kristallnacht, or the Night of Broken Glass, Hans Sachs was arrested and thrown in the Sachsenhausen concentration camp north of Berlin.

When he was released about two weeks later, the family did not wait to see what would happen next. "We were given 24 hours to get out of Germany, and we did just that," Peter Sachs said.

After the war, Hans Sachs assumed the collection had been destroyed and accepted compensation of about $50,000 from West Germany in 1961. He learned five years later, however, that an East Berlin museum had part of the collection.

He wrote the Communist authorities about seeing the posters or even bringing an exhibit to the West to no avail. He died in 1974 without ever seeing them again. After communism fell, the collection was given to the German Historical Museum in 1990.

Peter Sachs said his mother never spoke of the collection, and he had no idea it existed until 2005, when he was searching the Internet for copies of his father's periodical, Das Plakat, and saw references to the missing posters. Though both the museum and Sachs say they want the posters to be available to the public, he said he did not see a compromise to leave part of the collection in Berlin. "It's a moral issue," he said. "There's no negotiation on that."

• Members

Jack is going through a lot just to get some alone time with Phyllis and I doubt that it is all about business as he says it is...Let the countdown begin till they put these two together.

Also can see right now that Cain will be not so on the up and up (based off of Daniel's warnings to Amber about online hook-ups), and that it will be a way to put a rift between Lily/Daniel....

Okay, is it just me or does Victor know a little bit more than Bradski about this stupid reliquary? Something's either amiss or I just don't care enough to figure out what's going on.

• Members

LOL! I found the article on another board and was BLOWN AWAY.

OMG Nick actually made me LOL at him immidating Victor. Anybody who immidates Victor makes me LOL actually. I remember when Michael did it once in Vic's office.

How gorgeous does everyone look today? Especially Tracey. She looks radiant. Rowell and Stafford look divine with their hair down. The Nick/Phyllis/Lauren/Michael scenes are nice. If one thing LML has done right is friendships.

FauxNina still looks fake. I LOL when CandyCane said "you were lying when you told me you were attractive," and then quickly saved himself. LOL, we KNOW what he TRULY meant.

No Colleen/JT again? YES.

Victor thinks he is slick? Thank GAWD this story is coming to an end.

I'm sort of warming up to Maggie....(please don't shoot). I think the stylist just makes her look too rough.

I'm really liking Indigo too. The set has a soothing feel to it.

BTW it's pretty pathetic that a 50something year old man like Jack is having trouble living on his lonesome. Out of all the Abbott women, only Traci was able to find true happiness with her life.

• Members

Jack loves Phyllis, I don't see the problem with it. The two have had a strong connection for years and were a million times more interesting than Phick will ever be. They had the sex appeal and substance, which Phick lacks, IMO. It's not like Jack is trying to steal her away from Nick, he's been very respectful in that regard. After the way Phyllis did him she's lucky he even wants to talk to her.

Anyway, endgame right now: Jack/Phyllis, Sharon/Nick (hopefully she won't go back to the dog)

I highly doubt the writers will keep Phick together for the long term.

I love Maggie! I've never had a problem with her, though I do think she's a bit strange. Now I've warmed up to that strangeness and wouldn't have a problem with her and Paul becoming a couple on the show. I just can't believe I care about Paul again!

Team Paul & Christine! :wub:

The teen scene is growing on me, sans FauxLily of course. Love seeing Daniel regularly again and I do enjoy Amber. Cane is cute and a good actor to boot! Now give me more Devon and I'll be okay.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Jan 24 2007, 03:03 PM)
The teen scene is growing on me, sans FauxLily of course. Love seeing Daniel regularly again and I do enjoy Amber. Cane is cute and a good actor to boot! Now give me more Devon and I'll be okay.

I could care less about Devon and notLily. They are both wet blankets to me. They really need to put Daniel with someone who doesn't bore him to death because notLily just ain't getting it done.

• Members

I'm sorry Phick fans, but Jack and Phyllis all the way! Bergman and Stafford bring out the best in one another. IMO, all Marrow does is sink Michelle down with him. Jack and Phyllis do have a long history, and I love the little moments we've seen them together over the past few months. If that's not a hint about them potentially getting back together, I don't know what is. Jack and Phyllis were meant to be together . . .

Archived